The trial of “cannibal cop” Gilberto Valle began at Thurgood Marshall Court House in Lower Manhattan with testimony from his estranged wife, potential victims and an FBI agent, according to published reports.
On day one of the trial of the six-year NYPD veteran who allegedly planned to kidnap, kill and eat 100 women, defense attorney Julia Gatto reportedly told the jury “the only thing Gil Valle is guilty of is having some bizarre thoughts and sharing them online with others.”
Later that day, the six-year NYPD veteran’s wife, Kathleen Mangan, took the stand and broke down crying as prosecutors brought up photographs of her husband with their daughter and went through his plot to cook and eat more than 100 women, including her. According to published reports, Mangan recounted her discovery of the online chats her husband had been having at odd hours.
“I was supposed to be tied at my feet, my throat slit, and they were going to watch the blood rush from my body,” Mangan told a Manhattan jury Monday morning, February 25.
Three possible “targets” of Valle’s plot testified Tuesday on their interaction with the cop, including a past high school acquaintance. According to the Daily News, an FBI agent also took the stand, presenting the jury with excerpts of Valle’s deranged web chats in which he describes his plans on kidnapping and cooking the women present in court with his accomplice in the alleged plot.
Among the targets who took the stand was the 18-year-old softball star from Archbishop Molloy High School who, according to reports, Valle referred to as “the most desirable piece of meat I have ever met.”
Along with being charged with planning to kidnap, torture, rape and eat women, Valle is also being charged for improperly using a federal law enforcement database, published reports said.
The trial is expected to last two weeks with more evidence to be brought forth and other “targeted” women taking the stand.