Tag Archives: shut down

Queens-bound service to temporarily shut down at two Ozone Park subway stops for station improvements


| editorial@queenscourier.com

Photo via Wikimedia Commons

A $39 million project to revamp five Queens stations along the A line will shut down service at two Ozone Park stops for three months, the MTA said.

The project will renovate the 80 St-Hudson Street, 88 St-Boyd Avenue, Rockaway Boulevard, 104 St-Oxford Avenue and 111 St-Greenwood Avenue stations.

Improvements at all five stations will include new lighting and artwork, better platforms, enhanced safety features, and upgraded communications, according to the MTA. There will also be the repair or replacement of the mezzanine leading the platform stairs, mezzanine floors, doors and windows, and interior and exterior walls. Additionally, each station will be painted, and canopies, windscreen panels and railings will be replaced.

During the work, the Queens-bound platforms at the 88th St-Boyd Avenue and 104 St-Oxford Avenue stations will be closed from May 12 to August 18. There will still be normal A service toward Manhattan.

Queens-bound customers traveling to 88th St-Boyd Avenue must ride to the Rockaway Blvd Station and transfer to a Manhattan-bound A train.  Customers wishing to ride towards Ozone Park Lefferts Boulevard or the Rockaways from 88 St-Boyd Avenue must ride a Manhattan-bound A train to 80 St-Hudson Street and transfer to a Queens-bound A train.  Normal service will be provided travelling towards Manhattan.

Queens-bound riders traveling to 104 St-Oxford Avenue must ride to the 111 St-Greenwood Avenue Station and transfer to a Manhattan-bound A train.  Riders wishing to travel towards Ozone Park-Lefferts Boulevard from 104 St-Oxford Avenue must ride a Manhattan-bound A train to Rockaway Boulevard and transfer to an Ozone Park-Lefferts Boulevard-bound A train.

Work will move over to the Manhattan-bound platforms at these 88th St-Boyd Avenue and 104 St-Oxford Avenue stations after this first phase of the project is completed is tentatively scheduled to begin in September.

Click here for up-to-date information on planned service changes.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

JetBlue halting flights at NYC area, Boston airports


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

File photo

JetBlue is suspending outgoing flights at JFK, LaGuardia, Newark, and  Boston’s Logan airports to catch up with weather-related delays and cancellations.

The airline started reducing flight operations at 1 p.m. Monday and will fully halt departing flights at 5 p.m., said a JetBlue spokesperson. Arriving flights will not be grounded. Departing flights will gradually start operating again at 10 a.m. Tuesday and the airline intends to be 100 percent operational by 3 p.m. that day

“This plan allows for 17 hours of rest for crews, and time for Tech Ops to service the aircraft,” JetBlue said in a statement on its website.

Newly launched FAA regulations on pilot duty times also affected cancelled flights, according to the airline.

“This isn’t the sort of operation we’re happy about, and have stood up every available resource throughout the last week to work with customers and adjust our schedules to minimize impact.”

If customers’ flights have been canceled, they can rebook travel or request a refund online. Customers with specific questions on compensation are also asked to contact JetBlue’s customer support team via jetblue.com.

Customers are encouraged to check the status of their flight online prior to leaving for the airport.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Willets Point business owners expect to reopen


| mchan@queenscourier.com

THE COURIER/Photo by Melissa Chan

Nearly one dozen Willets Point business owners who had their auto shops abruptly shut down by the city two weeks ago said they expect to reopen in a few days.

“We all have families,” said Wais Mohibi, owner of Discount Muffler in the Iron Triangle. “Don’t just come in without warning, without anything, and just shut us down.”

The city’s Department of Buildings (DOB) issued partial vacate orders two weeks ago to five businesses at 38-01 126th Street for “illegal, unsafe construction,” according to a department spokesperson.

About five other shops at 37-11 126th Street were also shut down. Vacate orders had been in effect at those locations since 2009, the DOB said.

The businesses were hit with violations for working without permits and for having improper lightweight steel, called C-joist, installed at their sites, according to the department.

The DOB said C-joist construction without proper shoring affects the structural stability of buildings and can cause collapse. Such conditions led to the death of one Brooklyn construction workers last year, the department said.

Most of the business owners dealing with vacate orders are working out deals with the city to sell their property. However, they said they did not expect to be forced out of their jobs so quickly. They added that the vacates left them with nothing.

“All our equipment is inside. We can’t do anything,” Mohibi said. “That’s not fair at all. We’re basically going to be in the street.”

Marco Neira, president of the Willets Point Defense Committee, said business owners expect their stores will temporarily reopen by Monday, June 3.

He said Councilmember Julissa Ferreras’s office has been in touch with the city’s Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), which will handle repairs to the stores.

According to an HPD spokesperson, the repairs will be funded by the city and will begin in the next few days. The spokesperson added that there is no timeline yet for the project’s completion.

Ferreras said those owners should be able to return next week at the very latest.

“The city has to treat us as human beings,” Neira said. “I know they want this land. They can have this land, but not in this way.”

According to the DOB, business owners have to submit new design drawings, obtain permits and install proper shoring before their shops can reopen.

The establishments are located at the heart a $3 billion city project to transform the area into a major commercial hub.

“This is obviously harassment by the city of New York because this area is slated for redevelopment,” said State Senator Tony Avella. “It’s death by a thousand cuts.”

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES