Tag Archives: Shooting

Richmond Hill man charged in fatal shooting of Queens grandmother


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

Photo via Twitter/@NYPD113Pct

Updated Monday, April 27, 5:11 p.m.

Detectives slapped the cuffs on a Richmond Hill man Friday night for fatally shooting a 71-year-old grandmother at her Jamaica home last month, authorities said.

Julian Douglas, 22, was arraigned Saturday on second-degree murder and weapons possession charges for the March 31 killing of Leta Webb at her 119th Avenue home.

According to the district attorney’s office, Webb answered a knock at her front door just before 2 a.m. that morning and, after opening it, was shot in the head and left arm.

Officers from the 113th Precinct and EMS units responded to the scene. Webb was pronounced dead later that morning at Jamaica Hospital.

Police reportedly believe that Webb was not the intended target of the shooting and that the incident may have been gang-related.

Douglas, who was remanded into custody, faces up to 25 years to life in prison.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Suspect arrested for firing shots outside Resorts World Casino


| agiudice@ridgewoodtimes.com

Photo courtesy NYPD

A Brooklyn man suspected of firing shots at Resorts World Casino amid a brawl at the South Ozone Park establishment on Friday night has been arrested, police reported.

Jaquan Roberts, 22, was charged in connection with firing a gun in the casino’s parking lot moments after the fracas erupted inside the casino’s Fat Tuesday daiquiri bar.

The fight took place on the night of April 3, when patrons, waiting to get into the bar during its grand opening, began throwing punches and chairs, allegedly causing thousands of dollars in damage. Video of the brawl went viral after being posted on YouTube.

Three others were arrested following the brawl, and several individuals were hospitalized with minor injuries.

Roberts is being charged with two counts of assault, criminal possession of a weapon in the second and third degree and first-degree reckless endangerment.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Man killed in Astoria shooting


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

CrimeSceneTapeHC1010_L_300_C_R-624x416

Police are investigating a deadly shooting in Astoria Sunday evening.

Sean Overton, 42, was gunned down just after 5 p.m. outside the Astoria Houses at 2-10 Astoria Blvd., authorities said.

Officers found Overton, who lived at the NYCHA complex, lying on his back with one gunshot wound to his neck and another to his torso, police said.

He was taken to Mount Sinai Queens, where he was pronounced dead.

There have been no arrests.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Suspect wanted for firing shots in parking lot outside Resorts World brawl


| agiudice@ridgewoodtimes.com

Photo courtesy NYPD

Police are looking for a man who allegedly fired shots in the parking lot of Resorts World around the time a massive fight broke out in the casino Friday night.

At about 10:50 p.m., during the brawl at the South Ozone Park casino, which occurred at the grand opening of a daiquiri bar called Fat Tuesday, police responded to a 911 call of shots fired in the parking lot, authorities said. Officers searched the parking lot and area hospitals for a victim with a gunshot wound, but none was found.

Using surveillance footage of the area and inside of the casino, facial recognition technology and a license plate reader, police were able to identify the suspect as 22-year-old Jaquan Roberts, authorities said.

Roberts is described as a black male, about 6 feet tall and 180 pounds. According to police, he was arrested in 2010 for possession of a loaded .22-caliber American Arms revolver after he shot himself in the right leg.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or can text their tips to CRIMES (274637), then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Jamaica man convicted in shooting death of newlywed during 2011 robbery


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

File photo

A 23-year-old Jamaica man was found guilty this week for his role in the deadly shooting and robbery of a young woman as she was walking home with her new husband in Hollis four years ago, prosecutors said.

Rohan R. Hankerson was convicted Wednesday of one count of second-degree murder, one count of first-degree robbery, two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, two counts of fourth-degree criminal possession of stolen property and eight counts of fifth-degree criminal possession of stolen property, according to the Queens District Attorney’s office.

According to trial testimony, Rabia Mohammed, 23, and her husband of five months were walking on 204th Street near 93rd Avenue just after 8:30 p.m. on March 13, 2011, when Hankerson’s alleged accomplices — Ian R. Green, Tiyquon Hodges and Corey Brown — came up behind the couple.

Two of those men allegedly threw Mohammed’s husband to the ground and one said to her, “Give me the bag.” Brown struggled with the woman for her purse, and when she screamed Green pulled out a gun and fatally shot her in the chest. Hankerson was the getaway driver for the group, according to prosecutors.

In May 2013, Green, 21, of Queens, pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree manslaughter, four counts of first-degree robbery (for his involvement in four other robberies that occurred between March 4, 2011, and March 17, 2011) and one count of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and first-degree manslaughter, according to the district attorney’s office. He was sentenced to 25 years in prison.

Brown, 21, of Brooklyn, pleaded guilty to first-degree robbery in March 2014 and was sentenced to 23 years in prison. Hodges, 20, of Jamaica, is currently awaiting trial on second-degree murder and other charges for his alleged involvement in the shooting incident.

Hankerson’s sentencing is set for May 6. He faces up to 49 years to life in prison.

“His actions have caused a great deal of pain and inconsolable loss to the victim’s husband and family,” District Attorney Richard Brown said. “ As such, the imposition of a lengthy prison sentence is more than warranted.”

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Video released in search for shooter who killed 70-year-old Jamaica woman


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

Photo via Twitter/@NYPD113Pct

Police are continuing to look for the shooter who gunned down a 70-year-old Jamaica woman after she answered her door in the middle of the night.

According to authorities, Leta Webb heard a knock at the door of her 119th Avenue home at about 1:40 a.m. Tuesday, authorities said. When she opened the door, the shooter fired, striking her in the head and left arm.

Webb was taken to Jamaica Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Police did not immediately have a motive for the shooting and said there were no arrests. According to published reports, her family has said Webb, who was not home alone at the time of the shooting, was likely not the intended target and the incident could have been gang-related.


The NYPD is offering up to a $2,000 reward for any information leading to an arrest and indictment in Webb’s murder. Authorities also released video footage Wednesday of a white Ford Econoline Van that a suspect or suspects used immediately following the shooting.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or can text their tips to CRIMES (274637), then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.  

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Ridgewood man kills himself after shooting wife, stepdaughter: police sources


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

Photo by Anthony Giudice

Updated Wednesday, April 1, 2:56 p.m. 

An apparent domestic dispute reportedly led a husband to shoot his wife and stepdaughter in their Ridgewood home before taking his own life Tuesday night, police sources said.

Reportedly, the shooting occurred at about 8:15 p.m. on Gates Avenue off Fresh Pond Road.

According to police, the gunman — whose identity was withheld due to the ongoing investigation — shot his 54-year-old wife in the back and his 31-year-old stepdaughter in the arm.

Officers from the 104th Precinct and EMS units responded to reports of the shooting. Paramedics rushed both victims to Elmhurst Hospital Center for treatment of injuries not considered life-threatening.

Meanwhile, it was reported, the shooter locked himself inside the home, leading to an hour-long standoff with police.

Initial reports claimed the suspect turned the gun on himself, but police stated Wednesday morning that officers, after gaining entry into the location, found the suspect hanging from a rope. Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.

The investigation is ongoing.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

 

70-year-old Jamaica woman shot to death after answering door


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

DoorknobH0505_M_150_B_R

Updated 4:38 p.m.

A 70-year-old woman was killed early Tuesday morning after she answered the door to her Jamaica home and was shot, police said.

Leta Webb heard a knock at the door of her 119th Avenue residence about 1:40 a.m., authorities said. When she opened the door, the gunman fired, striking her in the head and left arm.

Webb was taken to Jamaica Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Police had no motive for the shooting and said there were no arrests.

According to published reports, the incident may have been gang-related and Webb was not a specific target.

RECOMMENDED STORIES 

Man gets 25 years in deadly 2012 Hollis shooting


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

File photo

A Hollis man was sentenced to 25 years in prison for shooting and killing a Queens Village resident in broad daylight three years ago, prosecutors announced Monday.

Paul Boatwright, 23, pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter earlier this month in the shooting death of Jerry Lodvill before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth C. Holder, who imposed the determinate sentence of 25 years in prison.

According to court records and published reports, Boatwright fatally shot 30-year-old Lodvill in the head and torso in February 2012 on Hollis Avenue near 205th Street across from a playground in Hollis as the victim was walking home.

“The defendant has admitted to gunning down a man in broad daylight and will now serve a lengthy sentence in prison for this senseless shooting. Gun violence in our neighborhoods will not be tolerated,” District Attorney Richard Brown said.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Seven alleged southeast Queens gang members busted for murder plots


| rpozarycki@queenscourier.com


Counting themselves among “killas,” seven street gang members based in southeast Queens were indicted for allegedly plotting two murders, prosecutors said.

According to Queens District Attorney Richard Brown and Police Commissioner Bill Bratton, the suspects are part of the EBK (Everybody Killas) gang, which allegedly carried out plots in January 2013 to shoot two individuals whom they believed were members of a rival gang. One of the murder attempts took place in a busy shopping district during the evening rush hour, while the other occurred a few hours later at a grocery store, according to Brown.

“In both instances, the defendants’ alleged actions threatened the lives and safety of innocent bystanders as the victims were fired upon,” said Brown on Friday. “Today’s indictment is another example of police and prosecutors working together to reduce gang-based violence that too often plagues our neighborhoods.”

Brown identified the seven suspects as Jeffrey Bien-Aime, 19, of St. Albans; Anthony Biggs, 18, of St. Albans; Jonathan Jean-Pierre, 20, of Rosedale; Dayjah Knowles, 18, of Jamaica; Jerald Lowe, 22, of St. Albans; Kenneth Stokes, 20, of St. Albans; and Rasheed Watson, 22, of Jamaica.

All were variously charged with second-degree attempted murder, first-degree attempted assault, second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and conspiracy.

If convicted, each suspect faces up to 25 years behind bars.

Law enforcement sources said the first shooting occurred at 5 p.m. on Jan. 7, 2013, when Lowe, Bien-Aime, Watson, Jean-Pierre, Knowles and Stokes, along with unidentified EBK members, allegedly confronted rival gang members near Jamaica Avenue and Parsons Boulevard.

Following a verbal exchange, one of the EBK members pulled out a pistol and shot a rival in the right foot. The group then fled the scene, police said.

More than four hours later, Biggs, Stokes and two unidentified EBK members allegedly confronted another suspected rival at a deli located at 116-02 Merrick Blvd., according to prosecutors. Moments after arriving, an EBK member reportedly walked into the store, drew a .380-caliber pistol and shot the suspected rival in the left abdomen.

After the wounded rival fell to the ground, the EBK member attempted to fire again, but the gun jammed, authorities said.

Both of the gang’s targets were treated for their injuries at a local hospital. Detectives determined from shell casings recovered from both crime scenes that the same gun was used in each incident.

“I want to thank the members of the 113th Precinct who worked closely together with the Queens District Attorney’s office to build this case against these alleged EBK gang members,” Bratton said. “The NYPD remains committed to eliminating gang activity and improving the quality of life for the residents of the southern Queens communities.”

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Cop fires at driver who tries to run over undercover officers in Laurelton: NYPD


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

File photo

Update Monday, March 30

An undercover NYPD narcotics cop fired at a suspect in Laurelton Wednesday night after the driver tried to flee and almost struck two officers, according to police.

The cops attempted to stop the vehicle at Merrick Boulevard and 220th Street at about 8:10 p.m. as they were conducting a drug transaction, authorities said. That’s when the car tried to flee and nearly hit the undercover officers. One of the cops then shot at the car, but it got away, police said.

The passenger, a 36-year-old man, was later apprehended and charges were pending. The driver is still at large.

No one was reported injured.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Suspect wanted in shooting outside Richmond Hill club


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

Video courtesy of NYPD

Police are looking for the clubgoer who they say shot a man in front of a Richmond Hill night spot early Monday morning.

The incident took place outside the Underground Lounge, at 104-09 123 St. , near Liberty Avenue, at about 4:20 a.m.

According to police, the suspect shot the 25-year-old victim in the foot following an argument. The victim was taken to an area hospital in stable condition.


Authorities have released a video of the suspect from inside the club and describe him as an adult male with word tattoos on both arms.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or can text their tips to CRIMES (274637), then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.  

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Pair pleads guilty in 2009 Ozone Park home invasion and murder


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

Photo courtesy of FBI

Two men have pleaded guilty to robbery charges in the 2009 home invasion and deadly shooting of the son of a Queens pizza shop owner in Ozone Park.

Antoine Burroughs, in pleading guilty on Monday to one count of robbery conspiracy and one count of attempted robbery, admitted to shooting and killing 29-year-old Gerardo Antoniello as he was trying to protect his father, Bartolomeo Antoniello, during the home invasion, according to the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York.

His accomplice, Leon Whitfield, also pleaded guilty to the same charges and said that he carried a fake gun during the robbery and that Burroughs fatally shot Antoniello during a struggle.

According to the case, Burroughs and Whitfield were hired by Frank LaCorte, an associate of the Gambino Crime Family to commit the Sept. 9, 2009, robbery. They were targeting any cash the elder Bartolomeo had on hand from his shop, Romeo’s Pizzeria on Cross Bay Boulevard. His son tried to protect his father and was fatally shot in the head.

LaCorte was convicted in Queens County Court for his role in organizing this and several other home invasion robberies, and in June 2012 was sentenced to 50 years to life in prison, officials said.

Whitfield was arrested on March 18, 2014, for his role in the robbery. The same month Burroughs was indicted in the invasion, but was not apprehended until September in the Bronx.

Both men are scheduled to be sentenced on July 29 and face up to 20 years in prison.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Arrest made in Glendale homicide; actual shooter and accomplice still at large


| rpozarycki@queenscourier.com

CrimeSceneTapeHC1010_L_300_C_R-624x416

Originally published Sunday, March 22, 11:02 a.m.
Updated Monday, March 23, 9:42 a.m.

Police arrested an Ozone Park woman Sunday night in connection with the fatal shooting of a 21-year-old man in Glendale earlier that morning.

Jordan Paulino, 17, of Glenmore Avenue faces first-degree manslaughter and other charges for her alleged role in the slaying of Jordan Santos, 21, of 84th Street in Lindenwood.

Law enforcement sources said Paulino and Santos were acquaintances, and that the suspect allegedly helped lure Santos to the Edsall Avenue location where he was shot inside his SUV at about 2 a.m. Sunday.

The actual shooter and an accomplice involved in the murder — both of whom were male, according to police — remain at large.

Officers from the 104th Precinct, in responding to a reported shooting, discovered Santos shot in the neck while sitting behind the wheel of a Lexus SUV parked on Edsall Avenue near 72nd Street. Paramedics rushed Santos to Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, where he died a short time later.

Reportedly, the unidentified shooter walked up to Santos, opened fire on him and fled in an unknown direction.

The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or can text their tips to CRIMES (274637), then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.

It was the second homicide in the 104th Precinct since last Saturday, March 14, when 21-year-old Eric Santiago was fatally shot outside a Ridgewood pool hall. Police arrested the suspected killer Thursday night.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Brooklyn man collared in deadly Ridgewood shooting


| rpozarycki@queenscourier.com

HandcuffsHC0511_L_300_C_Y-624x413

A Brooklyn man has been charged with fatally shooting a 21-year-old man outside a Ridgewood pool hall last weekend, police announced Friday night.

Ricardo Delgado, 20, of Bedford-Stuyvesant, faces second-degree murder and weapons possession charges for the March 14 incident that claimed the life of 21-year-old Bushwick resident Eric Santiago.

Santiago was shot in the torso while standing along Palmetto Street between Cypress and St. Nicholas avenues, adjacent to the Arena pool hall, just before 1:15 a.m.

He was brought by private means to Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, where he later died of his injuries.

According to the 104th Precinct Detective Squad, Delgado was taken into custody Thursday and is currently awaiting arraignment in Queens Criminal Court.

RECOMMENDED STORIES