Tag Archives: Robert F. Kennedy Bridge

Two Queens-bound lanes of Throgs Neck Bridge to close overnight this weekend


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

Photo by Metropolitan Transportation Authority / Marisa Baldeo

BY ASHA MAHADEVAN

Two of the three Queens-bound lanes on the Throgs Neck Bridge will be closed during overnight hours this weekend, while one lane will be closed during the day.

From Friday, Aug. 22 at 10 p.m. through Monday, Aug. 25, at 5 a.m., one lane to Queens will be closed due to construction. One additional lane will stay closed between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. on all three days.

According to the MTA, these closures can cause delays in traffic movement, so motorists should use the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge or Robert F. Kennedy Bridge as an alternative.

This is the fourth of the seven non-consecutive weekends that the MTA needs to replace 90,000 square feet of binder and asphalt overlay to deliver on its promise of a smoother riding experience, according to the agency. All work is heavily dependent on good weather.

For up-to-date information on MTA service status visit www.mta.info.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Throgs Neck Bridge lanes to close overnight for seven weekends


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

MTA/Photo by Patrick Cashin

Up to two of the Throgs Neck Bridge’s three Queens-bound lanes will be closed during overnight hours for a total of seven weekends this summer, according to the MTA.

Starting the weekend of June 20 through 23, only one Queens-bound lane will be open from the Bronx toll plaza south to the Bronx anchorage of the bridge from 10 p.m. Friday through 5 a.m. Monday. During daytime hours on the weekend two lanes to Queens will remain open.

The closures will allow 90,000 square feet of binder and asphalt overlay to be replaced, and will give drivers “a smoother, more-even riding surface,” the MTA said.

As an alternative, motorists can use the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge or the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge, which will have three lanes open southbound to Queens.

Work is heavily dependent on good weather and can be affected by rain or extreme humidity. As a result of the weather, it may not be done on consecutive weekends.

For up-to-date information on MTA service status visit, www.mta.info.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Queens cabbie charged for stealing more than $28K in tolls


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

Photo: Metropolitan Transportation Authority / Brian Mendonca

A Long Island City taxi driver has been busted for evading more than $28,000 in tolls by “piggybacking” on cars through Robert F. Kennedy Bridge E-Z Pass lanes.

The cabbie, 69-year-old Rodolfo Sanchez, is accused of crossing the bridge without paying the toll more than 3,000 times over a two-year period, between 2012 and 2010, District Attorney Richard Brown said.

Sanchez was able to avoid the tolls by tailgating the vehicle in front of his yellow cab and letting both cars go through the bridge’s E-Z Pass lanes before the barrier came down, the district attorney said.

He was eventually caught, according to Brown, when it was discovered that an E-Z Pass tag that was previously reported lost, was regularly crossing the bridge’s toll plazas without making a payment. The pass had become invalid in 2011 but it was still emitting a signal to the E-Z Pass readers on the bridge, he said.

Sanchez allegedly told investigators that he knew that the E-Z Pass was no good but he used it because he needed money for his family.

Sanchez was arraigned Thursday and charged with grand larceny, theft of services and criminal possession of stolen property, prosecutors said. He faces up to seven years in prison if convicted.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Overnight closures to take place on RFK Bridge Manhattan/Queens ramp for two weeks


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

Photo by Metropolitan Transportation Authority / Patrick Cashin

Beginning Monday, Feb. 24, there will be multiple, intermittent closures of the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge ramp leading from Manhattan to Queens between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. for approximately two weeks, according to the MTA.

The closures will last for about 5 to 10 minutes and are dependent on good weather.

According to the MTA, the closures are needed to move steel beams in place using large cranes. The work is part of a$50 million project to reconstruct the 54,000-square-foot ramp, which was built in 1967. It also includes removing the old concrete deck, replacing the steel support stringers and adding a new concrete deck.

Work is expected to be completed this fall, the transit agency said.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Identify this place in Queens


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

identify

Do you know where in Queens this photo was taken?

Guess by commenting below!

The answer will be revealed next Friday.

 

Last week’s answer to “Identify this Place”: Robert F. Kennedy Bridge (Triborough Bridge)

One tube of Queens-Midtown Tunnel to close this weekend


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

Photo courtesy of MTA / Oscar Gonzalez.

Starting at 2 a.m. Saturday and ending at 5 a.m. Monday, the Queens-bound tube of the Queens-Midtown Tunnel will be closed to traffic to repair damage from Sandy.

The remaining tube will be open to two-way traffic and can be used by cars and New York City buses, but commercial traffic will need to find an alternate route.

From Manhattan, vehicles can enter the tunnel at 34th Street between Second and Third avenues, and from Queens can use the regular 37th Street exit for uptown traffic and take the Marginal tunnel exit to 38th Street, then to Second Avenue to go downtown. The 34th Street and Second Avenue ramps will be closed to traffic exiting in Manhattan.

Drivers should expect delays during the closure and can use either the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge or the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel as an alternate route.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

 

 

Lane to be closed on Throgs Neck Bridge for 2-3 weeks


| brennison@queenscourier.com

Photo courtesy of MTA

Drivers planning to use the Throgs Neck Bridge over the next couple of weeks may want to find an alternate route as at least one lane of the crossing will be closed around the clock.

The roadway asphalt and binder will be replaced over the next two to three weeks, shutting down the Queens-bound center lane at all times and an adjacent lane between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. Monday to Friday and 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekends.

The closure begins Monday night at 10 p.m.

Rather than doing work only during off-peak hours, Bridges and Tunnels is using the Fastrack approach also used by New York City Transit allowing the work to be finished before cold weather sets in.

During the construction, drivers are urged to use the Bronx-Whitestone or the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge as an alternate route.

The road work involves removing two inches of asphalt, sand blasting the steel deck and then new roadway binder and asphalt. The work is dependent on moderate temperatures and good weather. Each step must be done consecutively since the steel cannot be left exposed, the agency said.

MTA announces fare and toll hike proposals


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

Photo courtesy of MTA

Today the Metropolitan Transit Authority officially announced its proposals for the fare and toll hikes that are planned for March.

The agency said that the increases will bring in “vitally needed revenue to support the New York region’s transportation system.”

The MTA is considering four options that would increase bus and subway rides.

On October 10, the New York Daily News published those options ahead of time. Though the MTA would not confirm whether those were its actual proposals, the ones it revealed today did reflect the ones the paper released.

Two options keep the base fare at $2.25; the other two raise it to $2.50.

If the base fare stays the same, the cost of a weekly unlimited MetroCard would go up from $29 to $34 and the monthly from $104 to $125. The seven percent discount for every $10 put on a MetroCard would be lowered to five percent.

The second option would raise unlimited rides to $32 and $119, but eliminate the discount.

If the MTA raises the base fare to $2.50, then straphangers would keep the seven percent discount, but pay more for an unlimited MetroCard ($30 and $112).

The final option would keep weekly unlimited MetroCards at $29, and only increase the monthly by $5, but the base fare would be $2.50, and there would be no discounts.

There are also four proposals for express buses. Again, two would keep the base fare, which is currently $5.50, and the two others would raise it 50 cents. The options would also have similar trade-offs for MetroCard discounts and unlimited rides.

Most of Long Island Railroad and Metro-North tickets would go up by 8.19 to 9.31 percent, said the MTA.

These hikes would be the fourth increase in five years for subway, bus and commuter rail fares and that is one too many said public transportation advocacy group, the Straphangers Campaign, following the MTA’s fare proposals announcement.

“Blocking or reducing the fare increase is possible, if we get more help from Albany,” said Straphangers spokesperson Gene Russianoff. “One promising plan is to generate new revenue by both raising and lowering tolls on city bridges and tunnels in line with where there is the most and least congestion.”

The proposals that the MTA announced Monday would raise the tolls for many area bridges and tunnels. Though E-ZPass customers would still pay less than other drivers, everyone will be paying more.

Those increases include raising the tolls for the Queens Midtown Tunnel, Robert F. Kennedy Bridge, Throgs Neck Bridge, Bronx-Whitestone Bridge and the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel from $4.80 to $5.30 for E-ZPass holders and from $6.50 to $7.50 for other drivers.

Tolls for the Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge would go up between 12 and 33 cents, depending on whether the driver has an EZ-Pass or is a Rockaway resident.

In November, a month before the MTA votes on how it’s going to raise tolls and fares, the agency is letting the public weigh in on the options in a series of public and video forums. It is also accepting public statements via email and regular mail.

“The public will have significant input into our decision-making process. In the spirit of transparency, the public will assist in shaping our fare policy,” said MTA chairman and CEO Joseph J. Lhota. “These proposals have been designed to balance our need for revenue with public involvement. We need to hear from the public. Feedback evaluating the specific alternatives we’ve put forward is particularly useful, but we value all our customers’ input, and we’ll consider changes to our proposals based on what we hear and read.”