On the eve of September 11, governors Andrew Cuomo and Chris Christie, and Mayor Micheal Bloomberg announced that an agreement had been reached to continue construction of the National September 11 Museum.
“This agreement ensures that it will be restarted very soon and will not stop until the museum is completed. The museum is important to the families of those who died on 9/11 – they’ve contributed photos and memories of their lost loved ones, who deserve a thoughtful tribute. The museum is important to the historical record and will preserve materials and artifacts of great significance that tell the story of what happened on that terrible day,” said Bloomberg.
According to published reports, construction on the museum at the World Trade Center site was stopped because of financial disputes between the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the World Trade Center site, and the National September 11 Memorial & Museum’ s foundation.
“By ensuring that no additional public funds are spent to complete the Memorial and Museum, today’s agreement puts in place a critical and long overdue safeguard to finally protect toll payers and taxpayers from bearing further costs, and, at the same time, put the project on a path for completion,” said Cuomo.
Before the delay, the museum was set to open on the eleventh anniversary of the terrorist attacks.