Tag Archives: P.S. 207 Rockwood Park

Queens’ Morning Roundup

| ctumola@queenscourier.com


Tuesday: Overcast with rain showers, then a chance of rain in the afternoon. High of 55. Breezy. Winds from the NNW at 10 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Tuesday night: Mostly cloudy in the evening, then clear. Low of 39. Winds from the West at 10 to 15 mph shifting to the North after midnight. Chance of rain 20%.

EVENT of the DAY: The Queens Travelling Market

Come out Tuesday night to Astoria to shop and support local artists , designers and vendors at this pop up market. Captain Morgan will be at the event and offering delicious complimentary drinks. Click here for more info or to submit an event of your own

MTA cops, workers stranded on bridge to Rockaways the night Hurricane Sandy struck, sources say

A dozen MTA cops and workers were stranded on a bridge to the Rockaways the night Hurricane Sandy struck, sources said. Read more: New York Daily News

Process of reopening sandy-damaged schools to stretch into 2013

In the basement of P.S. 207 Rockwood Park in the Howard Beach section of Queens, water reached the ceiling, drowning student records from the past several decades and curriculum materials meant for the next several years. It also took out the schools’ electrical and heating equipment. Read more: NY1

Gov. Cuomo asks utility companies to give rebates to Sandy-ravaged customers

Gov. Cuomo appealed to utility companies Monday to give rebates to storm-ravaged customers, warning that asking for a rate hike now would be adding “insult to injury.” Read more: New York Daily News

Non-profit provides free gasoline to storm-hit Far Rockaway residents

A line of cars stretched back several blocks in storm-ravaged Far Rockaway. There was also a second line closer in with people on foot. Read more: CBS New York

Monthly MetroCards will not be reimbursed after Sandy

Count your monthly MetroCard as a casualty of Hurricane Sandy

Straphangers will not be reimbursed for time lost during the superstorm — despite more than three days without subways and service that’s still limited in parts, officials said. Read more: New York Post 

Federal aid for New York faces hurdle in Congress

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s request for $30 billion in federal disaster aid for the State of New York in the wake of Hurricane Sandy faces significant hurdles in Congress, and it may take weeks, if not months, before action is taken on it, Congressional officials said on Monday. Read more: New York Times

Top U.S. commander in Afghanistan investigated, Petraeus scandal widens

The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, General John Allen, is under investigation for alleged inappropriate communication with a woman at the center of the sex scandal involving former CIA Director David Petraeus, a senior U.S. defense official said on Tuesday. Read more: Reuters