Tag Archives: Murder

Suspect identified in deadly December stabbing of Jackson Heights man


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

60-15 115 PCT HOMICIDE WILLIAM AVILA

Police have identified a suspect in the fatal stabbing of a 25-year-old man who was killed just steps from his Jackson Heights apartment last year.

Steven Shimabuku was murdered close to his 90th Street home, near 35th Avenue, at about 9:15 p.m. on Dec. 19, police said. He was able to make it back to his basement apartment, where his girlfriend called 911, according to the Daily News.

Shimabuku had been stabbed in the torso after getting into an argument on the street, police said.

He was taken to Elmhurst Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Detectives have identified William Avila as a suspect in Shimabuku’s murder, just over a month after police released a video and photo of a suspect.

Avila is 22 years old, Hispanic, 5 feet 4 inches tall and 160 pounds.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or can text their tips to CRIMES (274637), then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Man beaten to death in Long Island City


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

Photo courtesy of Scott Bintner/PropertyShark

Updated Saturday, Feb. 21, 11:21 p.m.

Police are investigating the murder of a 32-year-old man who was beaten to death just feet from the 108th Precinct in Long Island City early Friday morning.

Cops found the man, Jose Antonio Cocuyo-Malaga, on the corner of 50th Avenue and Vernon Boulevard at about 2:30 a.m., authorities said. He was unconscious and unresponsive, and had head trauma.

EMS took Cocuyo-Malaga to Bellevue Hospital, where he died.

According to published reports, Cocuyo-Malaga, a married father and chef from Astoria, was attacked during an argument after he tried to catch a ride from what he thought was a livery cab. Two men got out of the car and assaulted the victim before fleeing.

Witnesses then reportedly alerted police at the 108th Precinct, just down the street.

There have been no arrests.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or can text their tips to CRIMES (274637), then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Man charged in three-day crime spree that began with Elmhurst murder


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

Screenshot via NYPD

Updated Monday, Feb. 16, 12:28 p.m.

Authorities have nabbed a man in the deadly August stabbing of an Elmhurst resident and have also charged him with stabbing another man and punching a third person in the following days, officials said.

“The defendant is alleged to have gone on a wild attack spree — stabbing two men and punching a third — over a three-day period last August,” District Attorney Richard Brown said.

Jefferson Pachon-Pineda’s streak of violence began on Aug. 22 outside an Elmhurst apartment building at 83-45 Broadway, officials said. He is accused of stabbing one of the building residents, Mukesh Patel, 50, that afternoon.

The following day Pachon-Pineda came up to a 20-year-old man on an R subway train as the doors of the train car opened and punched the man in the face before fleeing, the district attorney’s office said.

His crime spree continued the next day when he approached a 54-year-old man on Queens Boulevard in Elmhurst and stabbed him in the chest with a knife, according to Brown. Pachon-Pineda left part of the blade embedded in the victim’s liver, but the man managed to survive his injuries.

Officers from the 110th Precinct located and arrested Pachon-Pineda at a Corona barber shop hours after the Aug. 24 attack; he was incarcerated without bail.

Pachon-Pineda, a Middle Village resident, was arraigned on Jan. 21 on charges of second-degree murder, fourth-degree attempted murder, first- and third-degree assault and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon. Pachon-Pineda, who faces up to 50 years to life in prison if convicted, was held without bail.

-With additional reporting by Robert Pozarycki 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Man arrested in deadly shooting at Pomonok Houses


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

HandcuffsHC0511_L_300_C_Y-624x413

Updated 4:17 p.m.

Police have arrested a man for gunning down a Flushing resident in the doorway of an apartment at the Pomonok Houses early last month, authorities said.

Shyron Kearse, 34, is accused of fatally shooting Troy Grant at the New York City Housing Authority complex on Jan. 2 in what was the first Queens homicide of 2015.

Cops found Grant, 30, with a gunshot wound to the head inside his home at the Pomonok Houses on 71st Avenue at about 2:30 a.m., cops said.

That morning, Grant heard a knock on the door and the doorbell ring, according to the district attorney’s office. When he answered, Kearse, an acquaintance, allegedly shot him in the head and shoulder before fleeing. Grant was pronounced dead at the scene.

Kearse, a resident of another Pomonok Houses building, has been charged with second-degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon, authorities said.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

 

Queens man pleads guilty in city’s first murder of 2011


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

Gavel 2

Four years ago a New Year’s Eve party in South Richmond Hill that started as a celebration ended up deadly for one man after he tried to break up a fight and escort a woman to her car.

On Tuesday, Carie Dixon, 30, of Jamaica, pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter in the death of that man, Dwayne Haughton, District Attorney Richard Brown said.

Haughton, then a 29-year-old Jamaica resident, had just left a New Year’s Eve bash at a South Richmond Hill banquet hall on Jan. 1, 2011, when a group of women, including Dixon’s current and former girlfriends, got into an argument, according to Brown.

When the other women started to pelt the ex-girlfriend with snowballs, Haughton intervened and offered to escort her to her car.

As they walked toward the vehicle, another man then approached them, punched the woman in the face, and both she and Haughton fell to the ground, the district attorney said. Dixon then took out a gun and fired several shots, striking Haughton in the torso and right thigh. He later died at a local hospital.

Haughton’s death was the city’s first murder of 2011.

At his guilty plea, the judge indicated that Dixon would be sentenced to 20 years in prison.

“A celebration of the New Year turned deadly when the defendant gunned down a man who was doing nothing more than trying to stop an attack on a woman,” Brown said. “This was a senseless act of violence for which the defendant will now be locked behind bars for a lengthy period of time.”

RECOMMENDED STORIES

 

 

Police investigating deadly Richmond Hill shooting


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

PoliceCarLightsHC0708_L_300_C_Y-624x414

A 28-year-old man died after he was shot several times in Richmond Hill Tuesday afternoon, police said.

Derek Quattlebaum, of Brooklyn, was found at the Van Wyck Expressway and Atlantic Avenue about 3 p.m. with gunshot wounds to his head, torso and limbs, cops said. He was taken to Jamaica Hospital, but did not survive.

There have been no arrests.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

 

Far Rockaway woman arrested in murder of boyfriend: NYPD


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

PoliceCarLightsHC0708_L_300_C_Y-624x414

A 27-year-old woman has been charged with murder after her 48-year-old boyfriend was found stabbed in her Far Rockaway home, police said.

Police, responding to a report of a man assaulted inside of a residence on Beach 84th Street near Beach Channel Drive, discovered Troy Davis stabbed and unresponsive about 11:15 a.m. on Sunday, authorities said.

Davis, a Brooklyn resident, was pronounced dead at the scene.

His girlfriend, Shaquana Bell, has been charged with murder and criminal possession of a weapon in his death, police said.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

 

Far Rockaway man killed after being shot in the chest


| ejankiewicz@queenscourier.com

CrimeSceneTapeHC1010_L_300_C_R-624x416

A gunshot wound proved fatal for a Far Rockaway resident who was murdered in the early hours of Saturday, cops said.

Police found Kayvon Moore, 30, at Redfern and Nameoke avenues about 2:30 a.m. He had been shot in the chest.

Responders took Moore to St. John’s Episcopal Hospital, but it was too late to save him.

The investigation is ongoing and there have been no arrests.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

NYPD releases video, photo of suspect in stabbing death of Jackson Heights man


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

Video and photo courtesy of NYPD

Police are trying to identify a suspect in the stabbing death of a 25-year-old Jackson Heights man who was killed outside his apartment last month.

The victim, Steven Shimabuku, was murdered just steps from his 90th Street home, near 35th Avenue, about 9:15 p.m. on Dec. 19, police said. He was able to make it back to his basement apartment, where his girlfriend called 911, according to the Daily News.

Shimabuku had been stabbed in the torso after getting into an argument on the street, police said.

He was taken to Elmhurst Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

RMA#60-15 115 Pct Homicide (2)Police released a video and photo of the suspect on Wednesday. He was wearing a camouflage jacket with an American flag decal on the back, dark pants and white sneakers.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or can text their tips to CRIMES (274637), then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Two shot, one fatally, while sitting in parked car in South Ozone Park


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

CrimeSceneTapeHC1010_L_300_C_R-624x416

One man was killed and a second was injured when they were shot while sitting in a parked car in South Ozone Park on Tuesday night, cops said.

An unknown gunman fired at the two men as they were seated inside a Honda CRV on 130th Street near Old South Road at about 10 p.m. police said.

One man, who has yet to be identified by police, was shot in the head and pronounced dead at the scene. The second victim, a 21-year-old man, suffered a gunshot wound to the right leg. He was taken to Jamaica Hospital, where he is listed in stable condition, cops said.

There are no arrests and the investigation is ongoing.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

 

Father of 4-month-old Bayside boy charged with son’s murder


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

HandcuffsPrintsHC1010_L_300_C_Y2-624x468

Charges against the father of a 4-month-old Bayside boy have been upgraded to murder after the medical examiner determined his son died from abusive head trauma, authorities said.

Jagsheer Singh, 28, was arraigned on Tuesday on a charge of second-degree murder and held without bail, according to the Queens district attorney’s office. He was previously arraigned on charges of first-degree assault and endangering the welfare of a child on Dec. 21 before the death of his son, Nevin Jandu, two days later.

Singh claimed the baby was hurt when he fell off the changing table the morning of Dec. 20. He had been watching his child the previous night, while his wife, a physician and the baby’s mother, was at work, the district attorney’s office said. He said the child was fine when she left, and returned the following morning and went to sleep.

After discovering the baby wasn’t breathing a short time later, Singh said he woke up his wife, who hadn’t checked on the child before going to bed, and called 911.

Medical personnel at the hospital examined the baby and found that his injuries were consistent with non-accidental abusive head trauma and were not consistent with the injuries that would have occurred if he had simply fallen from the changing table, the district attorney’s office said.

The baby died at Cohen Children’s Medical Center on Dec. 23.

The medical examiner later ruled the child’s death a homicide due to abusive head trauma, which included fractures to the skull, a spokeswoman from the office said.

Singh’s next court date is Jan. 5.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Two arrested in deadly Christmas shooting in Richmond Hill


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

HandcuffsHC0511_L_300_C_Y-624x413

Police have arrested two men in a Christmas Day shooting that killed a 20-year-old Jamaica man.

Abu Quick, 23, of the Bronx, and Jamar Alexander, 25, of Queens, have both been charged with second-degree murder and criminal possession of weapon in the death of James Bryant, cops said.

Bryant was found with a gunshot wound to the neck near 126th Street and 89th Avenue in Richmond Hill about 2:30 p.m. on Dec. 25, police said. He was taken to Jamaica Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Arrest made in 2012 Queens murder of Long Island man


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

HandcuffsHC0511_L_300_C_Y-624x413

An arrest has been made more than two years after the shooting death of a 22-year-old Long Island man in Jamaica, police said.

Christian Euton was gunned down at 156th Street and 111th Avenue just after 11 p.m. on June 13, 2012, cops said.

The Valley Stream resident and LaGuardia Community College student had gotten out of his car to check for damage after running over a pothole when he was shot, relatives and police told Newsday at the time. His brother, who was in the car, told family that he saw two groups arguing nearby. One man in the group opened fire, and his brother was struck twice in the torso.

Lamell Ford, 33, of Jamaica, has been charged with second-degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon in Euton’s death, police said.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Teen charged in deadly Jamaica home invasion


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

HandcuffsHC0511_L_300_C_Y-624x413

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested in a botched Jamaica home invasion that left one man dead and another injured, police said.

Prakash Churaman has been charged with murder, attempted murder and burglary in the fatal Dec. 5 shooting, cops said.

Churaman entered the 144th Street home of 21-year-old Taquane Clark, an alleged acquaintance, with at least one other person with the intent to rob the place at about 6 p.m., according to police. But something apparently went wrong when Clark was shot in the head and a 27-year-old man suffered a gunshot wound to the torso and right leg.

Clark was pronounced dead at the scene and the other victim was taken to Jamaica Hospital in stable condition.

Charges are pending against a second person who was hospitalized after being injured in the home invasion, cops said. Police are still investigating whether others were involved.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Reward leading to arrest of pregnant Corona woman’s killer doubled


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

Photos via Google Maps/Facebook

The reward for information leading to the arrest of the killer of a pregnant mother of four who was gunned down the day before Thanksgiving in Corona has doubled to $12,000.

Brandee Anastasia Massey, 27 — who had just dropped off three of her four children at school — was murdered outside her 98-15 Horace Harding Expressway apartment on the morning of Nov. 26, police said.

The LeFrak City resident was shot in the chest and arm and taken to Elmhurst Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. She was about six months pregnant, and doctors were able to deliver her baby, police said. But the child, a girl, died several hours later.

Police were considering Massey’s uncle as a possible suspect, according to published reports. The day after the Nov. 26 shooting, Police Commissioner William Bratton said the incident may have involved a domestic dispute with the uncle.

Food Bazaar Supermarkets has agreed to contribute $4,000 and Queens Center mall is donating $2,000, according to state Sen. Jose Peralta, who has already offered a $2,000 reward in the hope of developing leads in Massey’s murder investigation.

The LeFrak City Organization and NYPD additionally each offered $2,000 last month.

“Food Bazaar Supermarkets and Queens Center have deep roots in this community and understand that the most important thing we can do right now for the Massey family is to help law enforcement bring Brandee’s killer to justice and make whoever is responsible pay for this brutal crime,” Peralta said.

Photo courtesy of Councilwoman Julissa Ferreras' office

Joseph Massey, Brandee Anastasia Massey’s husband, and their four children. (Photo courtesy of Councilwoman Julissa Ferreras’ office)

Councilwoman Julissa Ferreras announced last week that she has opened an education fund and launched a public fundraising campaign for Massey’s children, who are all under the age of 10.

LeFrak City Maintenance Services has made an initial pledge of $15,000. Anyone who would like to donate to the education fund can do so through www.rally.org/MasseyFund.

“These innocent children have suffered the greatest loss,” Ferreras said. “And while we cannot save them from the lifetime of pain and difficulty they will face growing up without a mother, as a community, we can give them a fighting chance at a better future.”

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or can text their tips to CRIMES (274637), then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.

RECOMMENDED STORIES