Tag Archives: McDonald’s

Teens robbed at Astoria McDonald’s: NYPD

| ctumola@queenscourier.com

Video courtesy of NYPD

Two young robbers, still hungry for more money, returned to an Astoria McDonald’s just after robbing one teen so they could steal from another customer, police said.

The victims, a pair of 17-year-old boys, were inside the 22-50 31st St. fast-food restaurant about 3:55 p.m. on Monday when the two suspects came up to them, cops said.

The suspects, who are also believed to be teenage boys, told one of the victims to empty his pockets, police said. He did what he was told and handed them an undetermined amount of money.

Immediately after leaving the McDonald’s the two suspects returned to rob the other 17-year-old. They ordered the boy to empty his pockets and he handed over an undetermined amount of money and his iPhone 5, police said. The suspects then left the eatery, with the victim chasing after them.

When he caught up with the two robbers and asked for his property back, they threatened to beat him with a brick and the victim fled.

Police have released a video of the suspects leaving the McDonald’s. The first suspect is described as white, 16 years old, 5 feet 6 inches tall, 145 pounds and was wearing a mask. The second suspect is black, 16 years old, 5 feet 5 inches tall and 135 pounds.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or can text their tips to CRIMES (274637), then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.


McDonald’s vows to return to Bell Boulevard after closing neighborhood fixture

| ejankiewicz@queenscourier.com

THE COURIER/Photo by Ross Belsky

Bell Boulevard hasn’t seen the last of McDonald’s. The golden arches came down when the Bayside restaurant closed last year, but the franchise owner plans on opening in another location near Bay Terrace.

“We loved our customers there, but Bell Boulevard has changed a great deal over the years,” said Maria Sullivan, who owned the McDonald’s at 41st Avenue for 25 years before it closed.

The fast-food chain’s lease expired at the end of last year and Sullivan decided not to renew it, leaving an empty storefront where one of the neighborhood’s longtime fixtures once stood. Sullivan decided to close the eatery because a number of factors were taking a bite out of her Big Mac sales: the area has become filled with an array of food options for potential customers while a lack of parking and a drive-through made it hard for Sullivan to lure people in.

“I’ll miss the regulars,” Sullivan said. “There used to be different groups that would come in for coffee meetings and I didn’t mind them being there at all.”

Now she wants to find a location in a section of Bell Boulevard that isn’t as congested to allow her to provide a drive-through and parking.

“It’s just the nature of this area,” Sullivan said. “You have to have these things to be successful.”

Sullivan owns four other McDonald’s spread across Bayside and Little Neck.


McDonald’s longtime Bell Boulevard restaurant shuts its doors

| ejankiewicz@queenscourier.com

THE COURIER/Photo by Ross Belsky

Maybe it was the Hamburglar who succeeded in robbing Bell Boulevard of its beloved McDonald’s restaurant.

The fast-food chain’s lease expired at the end of last year and the owners didn’t renew it, leaving an empty storefront where one of the neighborhood’s longtime fixtures once stood, according to a spokesman for Bell Corp., which owns the property at the corner of 41st Avenue.

The spokesman said that Bell Corp. hadn’t increased the price of the lease or made any changes.

A spokesman for McDonald’s did not return phone calls seeking comment.

According to a published report, McDonald’s is currently looking for a new location in the Bayside area. For anyone looking for a Big Mac fix, there is another McDonald’s on Northern Boulevard at 203rd Street.


Calls for boycott, plans for lawsuit after man says he was attacked at Flushing McDonald’s

By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

Photo via Wikimedia Commons

Following the release of a video showing a fight between a customer and an employee at a Flushing McDonald’s, Korean-American groups are calling for a boycott of the restaurant, and the customer — who says he was physically attacked by an employee — is planning on suing for millions, according to published reports.

The video footage of the February incident, first broadcast by CBS New York, shows the customer, James Jin Kim, recording video with his cell phone after he said an employee at the Main Street McDonald’s, Rooshi Sajjad, wasn’t serving him, reports said. Sajjad then appears to strike Kim with a broom handle.

In court filings, Kim claims after waiting 10 minutes to order coffee, he complained, and Sajjad started shouting at him, “We don’t serve coffee to people like you” and “Get out of my restaurant,” according to published reports.

On Tuesday, a protest, held by several Korean-American groups, took place outside the McDonald’s, the Daily News reported. The groups are also threatening to boycott the eatery until it trains its employees to be more sensitive toward Asian customers, the paper also said.

Kim, meanwhile, is planning on suing McDonald’s for $10 million, arguing he suffered injuries to his hand and unlawful discrimination, according to published reports.

Sajjad was charged with attempted assault and criminal possession of a weapon, both misdemeanors, and one violation, harassment, but her record will be cleared if she stays out of trouble for another month, reports said. According to CBS New York, Sajjad still works at the McDonald’s.

In a statement to CBS New York, the franchise owner of the McDonald’s, Luigi Solimeo, said: “Nothing is more important than the safety and well-being of my customers and employees,” adding that “the video does not capture all of the details surrounding that event.”

This incident at the Main Street fast food restaurant is not the first time that Korean groups have threatened to boycott McDonald’s.

Last January, Korean activists called for a worldwide boycott of McDonald’s following a feud between a group of Korean seniors and the owner of one of its eateries on on Parsons and Northern boulevards.

The dispute began when around 20 seniors would use the restaurant as their personal hang out space, spending about eight hours a day there. The owner, wanting the seats for other customers, called police several times.

A compromise was reached, with the owner agreeing to hire Korean-speaking staff members and extending the 20-minute sitting limit to one hour, except from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.



Man struck in hit-and-run at McDonald’s drive-thru

| aaltamirano@queenscourier.com

Google Maps

Updated Monday, Nov. 24, 11:00 a.m.

A man, who was apparently intoxicated, was struck at a McDonald’s in Rosedale early Saturday morning, police said.

At about 4 a.m., a white Nissan Maxima hit the man, who was drunk and fell on the roadway of the drive-thru of the fast food restaurant on Merrick Boulevard near 244th Street, cops said. The vehicle then fled the scene.

The 48-year-old victim was taken to Jamaica Hospital, where he is currently in stable condition.

Police are still looking for the Nissan’s driver.


Man assaulted, robbed inside Flushing McDonald’s: NYPD

| ctumola@queenscourier.com

McDonald's photo via Wikimedia Commons / Suspect photo courtesy of NYPD

A quick bite to eat turned into an assault and robbery when two men got into an argument at a Flushing McDonald’s earlier this month, authorities said.

The 24-year-old victim and the suspect were inside the fast food joint on Main Street near Roosevelt Avenue at about 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 4 when they started arguing, police said. The situation escalated and the suspect assaulted the victim and stole his cellphone before fleeing.

The victim was left with bumps and bruises to his face. He refused medical attention at the scene.

Police describe the suspect as a 25-year-old Hispanic man, 5 feet 6 inches tall and 170 pounds.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or can text their tips to CRIMES (274637), then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.


Stabbing victim walks into Jamaica McDonald’s with knife in back

| ctumola@queenscourier.com

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

A stabbing victim walked into a Jamaica McDonald’s Tuesday morning with the weapon still in his back, according to published reports.

The 53-year-old man was crossing Sutphin Boulevard, about a couple of blocks from the fast food joint at 91st Avenue around 9:45 a.m. when he was stabbed, police said.

Shocked witnesses reported seeing the man come into the McDonald’s with the knife sticking out of his back and speaking on his cell phone, reports said.

“I’m pretty sure he was on the phone talking to somebody in his family or a loved one or something, he was talking to them and telling them it might be the last time he’s speaking to them,” witness Tromaine Yancey told CBS 2.

“He was cool and calm. But you could tell he was shaken up,” Michel Green, told the New York Post. “I went to pull the knife out, but someone said, ‘No, no! It might have hit an artery!’ ”

The victim was taken to Jamaica Hospital where he was treated and later released the same day, cops said.

There are no arrests and the investigation is ongoing.




‘Robber’ threatens to castrate victim at Astoria McDonald’s: cops

| aaltamirano@queenscourier.com

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

One McDonald’s customer had a not-so-happy meal after a woman threatened to castrate him during a knifepoint robbery.

Kimberly Horvath was charged with robbery and menacing for pointing a pink knife at an unsuspecting diner inside an Astoria McDonald’s at 31-73 Steinway St. on March 26 and telling him to give her $20, according to a criminal complaint.

“How about I rob you right now? I can cut you up with my knife. I will cut your b—s off,” Horvath allegedly told the victim, John Briscione, according to the court document.

Horvath then  snatched a bag with two DVDs from his hands, the complaint said.

She was also charged with grand larceny, criminal possession of stolen property and criminal possession of a weapon.

Horvath is being held on $7,500 bail and her next appearance is scheduled for April 10 at the Queens Criminal Court.



Korean seniors and Flushing McDonald’s owner reach peace

| mchan@queenscourier.com

THE COURIER/Photo by Melissa Chan

A group of Korean seniors and the owner of an embattled Flushing McDonald’s have come to a truce, Assemblymember Ron Kim announced Monday.

The feud between the two parties was a “cultural miscommunication,” said Kim, the state’s first Korean-American elected official.

It began when a cluster of about 20 seniors made the corner eatery on Parsons and Northern Blvds. their favorite hangout, taking up seats for about eight hours every day, The Korea Times and New York Times first reported.

The extended stays have kept others from patronizing the McDonald’s, franchisee Jack Bert said.

“I’m sure you can imagine any business would find this situation to be difficult,” he said in a statement.

As part of the compromise, Bert agreed to hire Korean-speaking staff members and extend the 20-minute sitting limit to one hour, except from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

“I’ve been proud to serve this community for nearly 20 years, and my restaurant has been happy to welcome these customers for years,” Bert said.

“I was confident that once we were able to sit together and talk, we would come to a positive resolution that would create an environment where all customers who wish to enjoy this restaurant would have the ability to do so.”

The seniors agreed to abide by the new sitting hours and be transported by the Korean Community Services to meet at local senior centers during the fast-food restaurant’s busy hours.

The dispute, at its peak, led to four police interventions since November, according to the Times.

David Choe, 76, one of the group’s regulars, told The Courier he was insulted to be asked to leave.

“This is my town,” he said. “I’m happy people are taking us seriously now. Before, nobody really cared about this matter.”

It even sparked a boycott last week amongst a trio of Korean activists. Outraged, they called for a worldwide boycott of McDonald’s throughout February.

“Senior citizens have been working hard their whole lives. They should be respected,” said Christine Colligan, co-chair of the Korean American Parents Association of Greater New York, who led the protest. “This is the core of Koreatown. I cannot believe this is happening here.”

Kim said the culture clash also stemmed from a lack of resources for seniors.

“What we’ve done over the last few days is make sure both parties understand where each other is coming from and have some compassion,” he said. “This was a small business owner trying to survive and a small group of seniors trying to find a social space.”

State Senator Toby Ann Stavisky said the compromise represents Flushing’s tradition of respect.

“It goes back hundreds of years,” she said. “It’s a peaceful community, and it’s going to continue to be a peaceful community.”



Shake Shack coming to JFK

| tcullen@queenscourier.com

Renderings courtesy of SSP America

Terminal 4 at JFK International Airport is about to get a “shake” up.

City favorites Shake Shack and Blue Smoke will soon set up shop in the terminal as it goes under renovation, announced food and beverage operator SSP America. The first phase of the restaurant upgrades will be ready by May 2013.

The expansion will cost $28 million and is partially inspired by a larger Delta Airlines expansion at the terminal.

“These new restaurant offerings, which complement the exciting renovations made by SSP  just a few years ago, demonstrate that Terminal 4 is again raising the bar, “said Alain Maca, president of JFK Airport.

Along with offshoots of the popular NYC hotspots, other new eateries include: Uptown Brasserie, Street Food by Marcus Samuelsson, La Brea Bakery, Dunkin’ Donuts, Central Diner, McDonald’s, Le Grand Comptoir, Asobu, Camden food co., The Palm Bar & Grille and Buffalo Wild Wings.