Tag Archives: Labor Day

MTA Labor Day weekend service


By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

Photo by MTA / Patrick Cashin

MTA railroads will provide extra service on Friday, Aug. 29, and all MTA services will operate on reduced schedules on Labor Day, Monday Sept. 1, according to the transit agency.

Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Railroad

The LIRR and Metro-North will provide 27 additional early-afternoon trains from Manhattan on Friday, Aug. 29. For more information on LIRR service click here and for more information on Metro-North service click here.

On Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 1, Metro-North will operate on a Sunday schedule, and the LIRR will operate on a Sunday/holiday schedule.

New York City Subways and Buses

MTA New York City Transit subways and buses and MTA Bus Company buses will operate on a Sunday schedule on Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 1.

Because of the J’Ouvert Parade on Monday, Sept. 1, from 2 a.m. to 8 p.m. in Brooklyn, the Church Av 2 station will be closed and bypassed from 11 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 31, to 4 a.m. Monday, Sept. 1. Buses in the area will be rerouted.

Because of the West Indian-American Day Parade on Monday, Sept. 1, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. along Eastern Parkway in Brooklyn, certain subway entrances in the parade area may be affected and buses in the area will be rerouted.  The Eastern Pakwy- Brooklyn Museum 234 station will be closed and bypassed from 12 noon to 7 p.m. Monday, September 1. At the Crown Hts-Utica Av 34 station, certain staircases will be designated entrance/exit only.  4 trains will make local stops in Brooklyn.

Staten Island Railway

Staten Island Railway (SIR) customers will be able to catch earlier afternoon express train service on Friday, Aug. 29, with Staten Island Railway’s Early Departure Getaway schedule. This schedule means extra SIR trains will be added earlier in the afternoon beginning at 2:30 p.m. from the St. George Ferry Terminal. There will be one express train and one local train awaiting every boat until 7:50 p.m. SIR will operate on a Sunday Schedule on Labor Day, Monday Sept. 1.

MTA Bridges and Tunnels

MTA Bridges and Tunnels will suspend routine construction and maintenance work at its facilities beginning at 6 a.m. on Friday, Augu. 29, through the end of the morning rush on Tuesday, Sept. 2. Work will continue at the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge where a full-time lane closure is in effect.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Queens’ Morning Roundup


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

TODAY’S FORECAST

Monday: Overcast with a chance of rain. High of 79. Winds from the SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%. Monday night: Overcast with a chance of rain, then thunderstorms and rain showers after midnight. Low of 72. Winds from the ESE at 5 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70% with rainfall amounts near 0.5 in. possible.

EVENT of the DAY: 30th Avenue Astoria Festival

Enjoy a plethora of booths selling food and goodies at the 30th Avenue Astoria Festival. Click here for more info or to submit an event of your own

Peacock seen wandering Queens has been captured

The strut is up for one peacock that had been roaming Queens for weeks. The colorful bird was captured in Queens on Friday morning after it was spotted peacking the ground behind an apartment building. Read more: CBS New York

Hundreds grieve Queens high schooler Daniel Fernandez after party bus tragedy

The good times were rolling aboard the party bus to a Sweet 16 celebration — until tragedy struck for a Queens student who won’t see his 17th birthday. Read more: New York Daily News

Queens woman recovering from acid attack

A Queens woman whose eye and skin were horribly burned after her elderly dad doused her with sulfuric acid was up and talking yesterday as she battled back from the grisly attack. Read more: New York Post 

Seasonal parking bans please many Rockaways Residents but irk visitors

The houses in Neponsit and Belle Harbor, Queens, out past the last stop on the A train on the Rockaway Peninsula, are not what you picture when you think of New York City. Read more: New York Times

Citizenship help on offer thru City Council 

Immigrants will be able to get help applying for citizenship or deferred action — the new, temporary work and residency permits for young immigrants — at 30 City Council members’ offices starting next month. Read more: New York Daily News

On Labor Day, jobs debate a convention warm-up

Republicans and Democrats jockeyed for economic high ground in a Labor Day warm-up to the Democratic National Convention, with Republican Mitt Romney labeling the holiday “another day of worrying” for too many Americans anxious about finding a job. Read more: AP

Poll: Romney receives low score for convention speech

Mitt Romney’s speech at the Republican National Convention in Tampa last week received a lower score than any presidential candidate’s convention speech since the poll starting asking the question in 1996, according to the polling firm Gallup. Read more: CBS News