Tag Archives: Juniper Valley Park

Residents hold 9/11 vigil at Juniper Valley Park

| brennison@queenscourier.com

THE COURIER/photo by Billy Rennison

With the Twin Tower tribute lights in the background, hundreds of Queens residents gathered holding candles to honor those who died in the attacks on September 11.

The candlelight vigil at Juniper Valley Park in Middle Village featured poems, prayer and music on the 11th anniversary of the attacks.

Click here to see all the pictures from the night.

Queens’ Morning Roundup

| ctumola@queenscourier.com


Wednesday: Overcast with thunderstorms and rain showers, then thunderstorms in the afternoon. High of 81. Winds from the SW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80% with rainfall amounts near 0.4 in. possible. Wednesday night: Mostly cloudy in the evening, then partly cloudy. Low of 75. Winds from the West at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

EVENT of the DAY: Alobar’s Tomato Festival

All this week, Long Island City restaurant Alobar is honoring the harvest season with a rotating menu of tomato dishes supporting local farms at $30 per person for two courses and a cocktail or glass of wine. Click here for more info or to submit an event of your own

Seven Queens schools slated for closure re-open this week

After months of uncertainty, many teachers at seven Queens high schools previously slated for closure are going back to work. Read more: New York Daily News 

Internet currency exchange biz owner gets jail for tax conviction

The owner of an Internet currency exchange business is going to prison on a tax conviction. U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara announced the two-year sentence today for Ilya Boruch of Forest Hills, Queens. Read more: New York Post

 School in Queens to serve “brunch”

he thought of having lunch, or as the principal of IS25 calls it “brunch,” at 9:45 in the morning is not going over well. Come Thursday, many students at the middle school in Auburndale, Queens will feast on roast chicken, rice and pinto beans, just two hours after their day. Read more: ABC New York

Juniper Valley Park plagued by trash, vandalism and under-aged drinking, civic leaders say

Underage boozing, vandalism and mounds of trash have plagued Juniper Valley Park all summer due to lack of Parks Enforcement Patrol officers, civic leaders say. Read more: New York Daily News

With City Council redistricting looming, activists unveil “Unity Map”

Activists are trying to protect the city’s minority groups as the City Council district lines are about to be redrawn. Minority advocate groups unveiled their so-called Unity Map Tuesday. Read more: NY1

Ed Koch being treated for anemia at New York Presbyterian

Former mayor Ed Koch was being treated at New York Presbyterian on the Upper West Side and will remain hospitalized for a few days after undergoing a blood transfusion, officials said Tuesday night. Read more: CBS New York

Airlines to face trial over 9/11

The AMR Corporation’s American Airlines and United Continental Holdings must face a federal trial over negligence claims tied to the hijacking of jetliners used in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, a federal judge ruled Tuesday. Read more: New York Times

Mrs. Obama: Husband knows what struggle means

Democrats are using one of Barack Obama’s strong suits, that voters believe he understands the problems of ordinary people, to trump his weakest suit, the economy. Read more: AP

Memorial Moving Wall is moving experience

By Queens Courier Staff | editorial@queenscourier.com

THE COURIER/photo by Dara Drake


Jane Pescatore said it brought tears to her eyes.

The Middle Village resident was one of many who attended the opening ceremony of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Moving Wall on Friday, June 29, when it went on display to the public.

“This is just such a beautiful thing – it brought tears to my eyes – and I’m glad it could be brought to the neighborhood for everyone to see” said Pescatore.

With residents, elected officials and others present, members of the Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) read the names of the 37 soldiers who hailed from Queens listed as prisoner of war or missing in action (POW/MIA).

“Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another,” said Paul Narson, president of the VVA #32 of Queens, which worked in conjunction with the Veterans Day Parade Committee, Maspeth Federal Savings and the United Fraternal Organizations of Maspeth to bring the half-sized replica of the Memorial Moving Wall to Juniper Valley Park through Monday, July 2.

This was the Wall’s second visit to Queens – it was on display in Cunningham Park in 2004.


Christmas Tree Collection to Begin January 3

| brennison@queenscourier.com

After the presents have been unwrapped, the stockings unstuffed and the new year has passed, comes the time to take down the decorations and discard the Christmas tree.

Beginning Tuesday, January 3, the Department of Sanitation will collect the curbside Christmas trees that should be removed of tinsel, lights, ornaments and stands.  The program will run through Saturday, January 14.

The trees must not be placed into plastic bags.

The trees will be chipped and turned into compost and spread throughout the city in parks, ball fields and community gardens.  Compost is a natural fertilizer and is a soil enrichment that promotes the growth of plants and grass.

“The department is very pleased to offer this special recycling service.  Providing collection and recycling options for residents is environmentally valuable and benefits our neighborhoods,” said Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty.

The city’s Parks & Recreation Department will also hold a Mulchfest on Saturday, January 7 and Sunday, January 8.  Residents can bring their trees to one of the 70 designated locations around the city — 10 in Queens — for mulching.  New Yorkers who drop their tree off at the event will also be able to pick up free mulch.

For more information on Christmas tree collection and recycling and/or Mulchfest 2012, visit www.nyc.gov/sanitation or www.nyc.gov/parks or call 3-1-1.

Here is a list of Queens Mulchfest locations:

  • Astoria Park* (19th Street & Hoyt Avenue)
  • Brookville Park* (Brookville Boulevard between 144th Avenue & Caney Road)
  • Cunningham Park* (Visitor Parking Lot & 196th Street)
  • Forest Park Bandshell* (Forest Park Drive, west of Woodhaven Boulevard)
  • Juniper Valley Park* (80th Street between Juniper Boulevards North & South)
  • Kissena Park (Sunday Only*) (164th Street at Underhill Avenue)
  • Land Restoration Project Compound* (Queens Plaza South & 10th Street)
  • Rockaway Beach (Shore Front Parkway & Beach 94th Street)
  • Roy Wilkins Park (Park entrance at Merrick and Foch Boulevards)
  • Travers Park* (78th Street at 34th Avenue)

* Free mulch will be provided

Juniper Valley Park grade-A greenspace

| brennison@queenscourier.com


Middle Village’s Juniper Valley Park is making the grade.

In a recent report card released by New Yorkers for Parks, the park received an “A,” ranking it among the highest rated parks in the city.

The study focused on the maintenance conditions of parks between 20 and 500 acres.

The Middle Village park scored a 93, making it the second highest ranked within the city. The report attributed the park’s high score to an active group of volunteers that keeps it running and clean.

“Most of the parks in Queens that scored well have very active volunteer groups. That makes a difference,” said Fred Kress, president of the Queens Coalition for Parks and Green Spaces.

“It’s one of the nicer parks in Queens,” said Roy Bilson, a Middle Village resident as he walked his dog. “There is lots to do and it’s very well kept.”

Among the 56-acre park’s features are baseball fields, basketball courts, a dog run, handball courts, track, playground, tennis courts and shuffle board.

“There is always something going on, whether it’s a baseball game, or football or tennis,” said Greg Faines, a Middle Village resident. “The park is very well kept.”

Juniper Valley Park has a varied history that includes a past as a farm, cemetery, garbage dump and source of peat moss – partially decayed vegetable matter. The land where the park now stands was acquired in the early 1930s to settle back taxes from the infamous Arnold Rothstein. After plans of a municipal airport and civic center, the land was developed for a park, opening in the early 1940s.

Most Queens parks surveyed scored well on the report card, securing the second highest average grade – 87 – after Staten Island. Of the 17 Queens parks surveyed all but two – Roy Wilkins Recreation Center and Bayswater Park – received either an “A” or “B.”

New Yorkers for Parks is a citywide independent organization championing quality parks and open spaces for all New Yorkers in all neighborhoods.