Tag Archives: Gilberto Valle

Judge overturns ‘cannibal cop’ conviction, grants release: reports


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

Photo courtesy of Facebook

Updated 3:10 p.m.

The conviction of the Queens man known as “cannibal cop” in a scheme to kidnap, kill and eat women has been overturned, allowing for his release Tuesday, according to published reports.

Gilberto Valle was found guilty last March for conspiracy to commit kidnapping and accessing a federal government computer database without authorization. Late Monday Judge Paul G. Gardephe of Federal District Court in Manhattan acquitted Valle of the kidnapping conspiracy, the New York Times reported.

The former NYPD officer, who had yet to be sentenced, in the case, faced life in prison on the kidnapping charge. The judge upheld the second count, and which carried a sentence of up to a year in prison, the Times said.

Valle, who had been in prison since his arrest in late 2012, was granted his release on $100,000 bond Tuesday, and ordered to home detention at his mother’s Queens home, reports said. He was also ordered to wear an electronic monitoring anklet, prohibited from using the Internet and will need to keep away from his victims.

According to the New York Daily News, Valle will also be required to undergo mental health treatment.

“I want to take the opportunity to apologize to everyone who’s been hurt, shocked and offended by my infantile actions,”  Valle said to the media after walking out of court later that afternoon, according to the Daily News.

During the trail, it was argued that the six-year NYPD veteran and Forest Hills resident improperly used a federal law enforcement database to look up information on his possible targets.

FBI agents also provided evidence of Valle’s “sick web chats with fellow fetishists” and Internet searches, including “recipes for human flesh” and “how to chloroform a girl.” He not only researched ways to kidnap and cook his victims but also carried out surveillance of them, the Times reported.

While prosecutors were trying to prove his actions went beyond “fantasy role play,” the defense argued the opposite.

Judge Gardephe agreed with the defense in his opinion, writing “once the lies and the fantastical elements are stripped away, what is left are deeply disturbing misogynistic chats and emails written by an individual obsessed with imagining women he knows suffering horrific sex-related pain, terror and degradation.

“Despite the highly disturbing nature of Valle’s deviant and depraved sexual interests, his chats and emails about these interests are not sufficient — standing alone — to make out the elements of conspiracy to commit kidnapping,” according to the Times.

Prosecutors are planning on appealing the acquittal, reports said.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

‘Cannibal cop’ guilty on both counts


| aaltamirano@queenscourier.com

Photo courtesy of Facebook

After four days of deliberations, the jury has finally reached a verdict in the trial of “cannibal cop” Gilberto Valle.

Valle has reportedly been convicted on both counts of conspiracy to commit kidnapping and for accessing a federal government computer database without authorization.

The six-year NYPD veteran who planned to kidnap, kill and eat 100 women, made the decision to not take the stand during his trial and reportedly only spoke to the judge the last day of the trail to discuss his decision “not to testify.”

The trial began February 25 and closing arguments were given on Tuesday, March 5.  During the trial testimonies were given by possible “targets” in Valle’s “deranged” plot, which included his estranged wife who broke down as she took the stand to describe the details in her husband’s plan.

FBI agents also provided evidence of Valle’s “sick web chats with fellow fetishists” and Internet searches, including “recipes for human flesh” and “how to chloroform a girl.”

Valle could face life in prison.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

 

 

Jury deliberations to start in ‘cannibal cop’ trial


| aaltamirano@queenscourier.com

Photo courtesy of Facebook

After a week of gruesome testimony and eerie evidence, the jury in the trial of “cannibal cop” Gilberto Valle will soon begin its deliberations, according to reports.

The six-year NYPD veteran who is accused of planning to kidnap, kill and eat 100 women decided not to take the stand during his trial, which began February 25.

Valle’s estranged wife broke down during her testimony while describing her husband’s “deranged” plot to include her in his meal plan, according to reports. Other possible “targets” also described their interaction with the cop.

FBI agents also took the stand, since Valle is also charged with improperly using a federal law enforcement database to look up information on his possible targets. They said Valle’s Internet searches included “recipes for human flesh” and “how to chloroform a girl,” reports said.

Defense attorney Robert Baum told reporters the evidence shows “all fantasy role play.”

The jury was set to return Thursday, March 7, to hear closing arguments before beginning deliberations.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Wife, potential victims take stand in ‘cannibal cop’ trial


| aaltamirano@queenscourier.com

Photo via Facebook

The trial of “cannibal cop” Gilberto Valle began at Thurgood Marshall Court House in Lower Manhattan with testimony from his estranged wife, potential victims and an FBI agent, according to published reports.

On day one of the trial of the six-year NYPD veteran who allegedly planned to kidnap, kill and eat 100 women, defense attorney Julia Gatto reportedly told the jury “the only thing Gil Valle is guilty of is having some bizarre thoughts and sharing them online with others.”

Later that day, the six-year NYPD veteran’s wife, Kathleen Mangan, took the stand and broke down crying as prosecutors brought up photographs of her husband with their daughter and went through his plot to cook and eat more than 100 women, including her. According to published reports, Mangan recounted her discovery of the online chats her husband had been having at odd hours.

“I was supposed to be tied at my feet, my throat slit, and they were going to watch the blood rush from my body,” Mangan told a Manhattan jury Monday morning, February 25.

Three possible “targets” of Valle’s plot testified Tuesday on their interaction with the cop, including a past high school acquaintance. According to the Daily News, an FBI agent also took the stand, presenting the jury with excerpts of Valle’s deranged web chats in which he describes his plans on kidnapping and cooking the women present in court with his accomplice in the alleged plot.

Among the targets who took the stand was the 18-year-old softball star from Archbishop Molloy High School who, according to reports, Valle referred to as “the most desirable piece of meat I have ever met.”

Along with being charged with planning to kidnap, torture, rape and eat women, Valle is also being charged for improperly using a federal law enforcement database, published reports said.

The trial is expected to last two weeks with more evidence to be brought forth and other “targeted” women taking the stand.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Cannibal cop eyed Queens high schooler


| aaltman@queenscourier.com

Photo via Facebook

One object of the “cannibal” cop’s obsession was an 18-year-old softball star from Archbishop Molloy High School.

Gilberto Valle, the six-year NYPD veteran who planned to kidnap, kill and consume 100 women, eyed a girl from his own alma mater to join his roster of victims.

According to reports, in emails exchanged between Valle and another cannibalistic co-conspirator, the potential prey was referred to as “the most desirable piece of meat I have ever met,” adding that “she is a must-have.”

In a later online conversation, Valle mentioned the athlete again, noting “my oven is pretty big, and I can take the racks out.”

“I know she is a wreck right now,” said a close friend of the target, who wished to remain anonymous.

The friend alleged that Valle attended softball games.

“She’s nervous and scared because she might have to testify at trial to prove that she had no contact with [Valle],” said the friend.

Valle’s trial is set to begin on February 25.

Additional reporting by Anthony O’Reilly

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

 

 

‘Cannibal cop’ accomplice denied bail, believed to be danger to community


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

A man accused of conspiring with the “cannibal cop” from Forest Hills  to kidnap, cook and eat at least 100 woman, was denied bail Monday because he may be a danger to the community, according to  media reports.

Michael Vanhise, 23, of Trenton was arrested last week for allegedly discussing the cannibal scheme with Gilberto Valle, a six-year NYPD veteran, taking part in surveillance of the plot’s targets and even suggesting his 7-year-old niece as a possible victim, reported CBS New York.

He also agreed to pay Valle $5,000 to kidnap a New York woman so he could rape and murder her.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

 

Alleged ‘cannibal cop’ denied bail, plotted to feast on victims for Thanksgiving: reports


| brennison@queenscourier.com

Photo Courtesy of Facebook

The alleged “cannibal cop” will remain behind bars this Thanksgiving after reportedly planning to feast on “girl meat” during the holiday.

Prosecutor’s read transcript obtained from Valle’s computer during a hearing yesterday, according to multiple reports.

“I’m planning on getting some girl meat,” said Valle, according to transcripts. “This November, for Thanksgiving. It’s a long way off, but I’m getting the plan in motion now. She’s not a volunteer. She has to be abducted. I know where she lives. I will grab her from her house.”

The six-year NYPD veteran was busted by federal agents in October after files with more than 100 women were found on his computer.

The Forest Hills resident, who pleaded not guilty on Monday, plotted to kidnap, cook and eat the women, authorities said.

Valle was denied bind and a trial was set for January 22.

Weekend Roundup


| brennison@queenscourier.com

The Afternoon Roundup

No bail for accused ‘cannibal cop’

Alleged “cannibal cop” Gilberto Valle will have to stew behind bars a while longer after a federal judge denied his request to get out on bail. Valle — who the feds say had been cooking up a plan to kidnap, rape, torture and eat as many as 100 women — was not in court, but the lawyer for one of his alleged victims was. Read more: NY Post

David Petraeus resigns as CIA director, admits extramarital affair; reports point to his biographer being the other woman

David Petraeus has given new meaning to the term “being embedded” in Afghanistan. In a stunning turn from hero to heel, the CIA director trashed his storied career by having a top-secret affair with his biographer. Paula Broadwell — who has called Petraeus “a very high-energy person” who is “relentless in everything he does” was outed Friday by Slate.com as the disgraced general’s other woman. Read more: Daily News

DOE: Some relocated schools to open in regular buildings Tuesday

Several schools forced to be relocated by Sandy are expected to reopen in their regular buildings Tuesday, according to the New York City Department of Education. Read more: NY1

Hurricane Sandy recovery workers save restaurant employees from burning fire

Three employees at an East Side restaurant were burned — one badly — Friday after a worker spilled gasoline in the kitchen and it ignited, fire officials and witnesses said. A chef, busboy and waitress were all injured about 10 p.m. at Eno restaurant on First Ave. at E. 58th St. Witnesses said the workers’ arms caught fire, as did their clothing. Read more: Daily News

‘Boozed-up’ Brooklyn ADA busted after Brooklyn Bridge attack: sources

An allegedly boozed-up Brooklyn assistant district attorney was arrested after he attacked an EMS worker early this morning on the Brooklyn Bridge, police sources said. EMS spotted Michael Jaccarino, 30, walking across the bridge intoxicated shortly before 1 a.m. and tried to bring him to Beth Israel Hospital, sources said. Read more: NY Post

Aqueduct racino rakes in dough despite Superstorm Sandy’s wrath

The Aqueduct racino’s earning power appears to be hurricane proof. The gambling hub operated by Resorts World Casino New York City raked in more than $8 million during the week that the city was under siege from Superstorm Sandy, according to recent State Lottery figures. Read more: Daily News

 

Queens police officer arrested in plot to kidnap, cook 100 women


| mchan@queenscourier.com

A cannibalistic city cop from Forest Hills has been arrested by the FBI after the agency foiled an alleged plan he cooked up to kidnap and eat at least 100 women, according to a criminal complaint.

Gilberto Valle, 28, a six-year NYPD veteran who works in Manhattan, had plotted to “kidnap, rape, torture, kill, cook and eat body parts of a number of women,” said the FBI, which seized the cop’s home computer containing e-mails and instant messages to a fellow conspirator.

Valle is also charged with accessing the federal National Crime Information Center database to gain information without authorization and agreeing to kidnap a woman to sell her to an individual for no less than $5,000, according to court documents.

At least 100 women were targeted, according to computer files feds discovered. Ten of them knew Valle, the complaint said. Each woman on the lengthy list had at least one photograph attached to their name, according to the complaint, but some files contained addresses and descriptions to accompany the pictures.

According to federal prosecutors, Valle — who told his fellow schemer he was “aspiring to be a professional kidnapper” — said his oven was “big enough to fit one of these girls” if he “folded their legs” in a July 9 instant message conversation with his co-conspirator.

He also detailed his plans then to tie his first victim’s body “onto some type of apparatus” and “cook her over a lot heat [and] keep her alive as long as possible,” the complaint said.

“She does look tasty doesn’t she?” he allegedly asked his accomplice.

Feds say one victim confirmed she met up with Valle for lunch later that month.

“The allegations in the complaint really need no description from us,” said FBI Acting Assistant Director Mary Galligan in a statement. “They speak for themselves. It would be an understatement merely to say Valle’s own words and actions were shocking.”

Neighbors said they were horrified to hear the news.

Daniela Sanchez, 26, who lives down the hall from Valle in his Yellowstone Boulevard apartment, said the cop “never seemed out of the ordinary.”

“This is creepy,” she said. “You wouldn’t think that in Forest Hills. We’re naïve to think things like that don’t happen here. I’m so glad they caught him.”

Jane Cinsov, 27, said the whole thing was “really freaky.”

“This is nuts,” she said. “Crazy comes in all sorts of packages.”

The NYPD did not immediately comment. Valle was held without bail in Federal District Court in Manhattan on Thursday, October 25.