Tag Archives: David Paterson

Queens’ Morning Roundup


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

morning roundup

TODAY’S FORECAST 

Wednesday: Morning clouds will give way to afternoon sunshine. High 16. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph. Wednesday night: A few passing clouds. Low near 5. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph.

EVENT OF THE DAY: Madden NFL: 25 Years and Running

Madden NFL: 25 Years and Running, at the Museum of the Moving Image examines the groundbreaking video game franchise Madden NFL. The exhibit takes a look at how the game has evolved and its place in culture, and features five playable games, from the original to the latest release. The Museum of the Moving Image is located at 36-01 35 Avenue in Astoria. Through February 23.

NO SNOW DAY: NYC public schools are open Wednesday

All New York City public schools will remain open Wednesday, education officials announced, dashing hopes city students might have about getting a second snow day this month. Read more: The Queens Courier

Swirling snowstorm batters tri-state, breaks snowfall records

A swirling snowstorm broke breaking snowfall records as it battered the tri-state Tuesday, forcing schools and offices to close early, delaying flights and making the roadways a dangerous mess. Read more: NBC New York

Feds on board with $850M for Sandy subway fixes

The feds are going to give New York straphangers a break by kicking in more than $880 million for Hurricane Sandy repairs, officials announced Tuesday. Read more: New York Post

De Blasio brushes off state pre-K, will raise taxes anyway

A defiant Mayor de Blasio is vowing to go full speed ahead with plans to raise taxes on the city’s highest earners to pay for universal pre-K — even as Gov. Cuomo is offering to have the state foot the bill. Read more: New York Post

Former Gov. David Paterson, wife file for divorce

Former New York Gov. David Paterson and his wife have officially filed for divorce, more than a year after saying they were separating. Read more: CBS New York/AP

 

Queens’ Morning Roundup


| ctumola@queenscourier.com


TODAY’S FORECAST

Wednesday: Overcast with thunderstorms and rain showers in the afternoon. High of 68. Winds from the South at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%. Wednesday night: Partly cloudy with a chance of rain. Low of 59. Winds from the SSW at 5 to 10 mph shifting to the WNW after midnight. Chance of rain 40%.

EVENT OF THE DAY: Laughing Devil Comedy Festival

The Laughing Devil Comedy Club’s six-day festival featuring comedians from around the world competing for cash and prizes, along with some hilarious celebrity guests. Ends May 19. Click here for more info or to submit an event of your own

Rockaway official launches petition to make ferry service permanent

THE CITY must continue providing ferry service from Sandy-ravaged Rockaway to Manhattan even after the A train is restored next month, a state lawmaker said Tuesday. Read more: New York Daily News

NTSB recommends lowering legal limit to reduce drunk driving deaths

Federal accident investigators recommended Tuesday that states cut their threshold for drunken driving by nearly half, matching a standard that has substantially reduced highway deaths in other countries. Read more: CBS New York/AP

Boxer Robert (The Ghost) Guerrero gets soft deal on Queens gun rap

The Ghost has ducked the law’s hardest punch. Boxer Robert (The Ghost) Guerrero has agreed to a plea agreement with Queens prosecutors that gives him a kid-glove sentence for bringing an illegal handgun to JFK Airport in March. Read more: New York Daily News

Report: Former Rep. Anthony Weiner hires campaign manager

Former Rep. Anthony Weiner may soon make an official announcement that he is running for New York City mayor. Read more: CBS New York

Paterson hears ‘House’ call

Congressman David Paterson? Could be! The former New York governor said he has been approached about running for the Harlem congressional seat currently occupied by Rep. Charles Rangel. And he isn’t closing the door on the idea. Read more: New York Post

FBI investigating IRS targeting of conservative groups

The Justice Department is opening a criminal investigation of the Internal Revenue Service just as another probe concludes that lax management enabled agents to improperly target tea party groups for extra scrutiny when they applied for tax exempt status. Read more: AP/ABC New York