Tag Archives: con ed

Queens’ Morning Roundup


| lguerre@queenscourier.com

Con Ed Locks Out Workers Following Failed Contract Talks 

Consolidated Edison and its employees union had a war of words Sunday over who was responsible for the lockout that left 8,500 workers off the job. Talks between Con Ed and Local 1-2, Utility Workers Union of America broke down early Sunday.Both sides kept talking past the midnight deadline but the utility dismissed the workers at 2 a.m. Sunday and brought in 5,000 managers to run its electric, gas and steam operations. Read more: [NY1] 

Police Are Hunting For A Pair Of Suspects In A String Of Sexual Assaults In Queens 

The NYPD is asking the public for assistance in tracking down a sexual abuse, rape, and robbery suspect in Queens. The alleged perpetrator has struck four times. His first attack came against a 19-year-old woman in Forest Hills when he sexually assaulted a woman at knife point and stole her cell phone and cash. Read more: [1010wins]

Willets Point Business owners’ City and NY Mets owners intend to maul us with mega-mall 

The city’s newly announced plans for Willets Point are an outrage — and should be seen as such by every City Council member who voted in favor of the plan that was originally proposed, and by all New York City taxpayers who are being stuck with the bill for what will forever be known as Bloomberg’s folly. Read more: [New York Daily News] 

Queens billboard no good for advertising: lawsuit 

A 75-year-old Queens billboard could go blank if the city has its way. Atlantic Outdoor Advertising began leasing the billboard at 23-10 Queens Plaza South in 1999, but when it sought permission to change wording on the rooftop display last year, the move was rejected because the city claimed the billboard was not an “advertising” sign. Read more: [New York Post] 

Rockaway residents rally to replace fence around nude beach 

Rockaway residents fed up with getting an eyeful from a nude beach are demanding the city rebuild a fence to shield their gaze from naked sunbathers. Dozens of scandalized locals rallied at the beach Sunday — pushing to rebuild the fence that separated the federally controlled adult beach in Riis Park from the tamer sands of Neponsit. Read more: [New York Daily News] 

NYC’s first casino, Resorts World Casino, robbed for the first time

The city’s first casino was robbed for the first time on Friday afternoon, police and sources said. An unarmed robber slipped a note to a second-floor cashier at Resorts World Casino in Queens and demanded cash late Friday afternoon, police said. The cashier forked over currency and the suspect fled about 4:45 p.m. Police would not confirm the amount. Read more: [New York Daily News]

 

Heat wave continues to bake city, relief may be on the way


| brennison@queenscourier.com

File photo

New Yorkers have one more day of suffocating heat before temperatures return to near normal.

After two day of heat approaching 100 degrees, today’s temperature is forecasted to stay in the mid-90s.

Thunderstorms are forecasted to begin late this afternoon.  This weekend temperatures are expected to fall back into the 80s.

The National Weather Service has issued another heat advisory that will remain in effect until 7 p.m.

If possible, residents should avoid strenuous activities as much as possible in the heat.

The city has again opened up hundreds of cooling centers in the five boroughs.

Cooling centers are air conditioned places, such as Department for the Aging senior centers, Salvation Army community centers, and public libraries that are open to the public during heat emergencies.

Click here to find the cooling center nearest to you

The heat is also still affecting many residents electricity. More than a dozen Queens neighborhoods face a 5 percent voltage reduction and more than 200 residents are without power.

“The idea is to prevent a larger scale problem,” a Con Ed spokesperson said about the reduction. “It takes pressure off the system while the issue is repaired.”

The voltage reduction is due to problems with electrical equipment.

The neighborhoods affected are Auburndale, Bayside, Broad Channel, College Point, Douglaston, Howard Beach, Kew Gardens, Lindenwood, Little Neck, Murray Hill, Ozone Park, Queensborough Hill, Richmond Hill, South Ozone Park, Whitestone and Woodhaven.

 

Hundreds of Queens residents without power


| brennison@queenscourier.com

The heat wave baking Queens, has left more than 500 residents without electricity.

The power outages are scattered throughout the borough.

Last night, Con Edison announced they were beginning voltage reductions to more than a dozen neighborhoods throughout the borough due to electrical equipment problems.

Con Ed said the neighborhoods affected will have a 5 percent voltage reduction.

“A lot of customers don’t even notice voltage reductions that low,” a spokesperson said.

The reduction is occurring in Auburndale, Bayside, Bellerose, Cambria Heights, College Point, Douglaston, Floral Park, Forest Hills, Glendale, Glen Oaks, Hollis, Jamaica, Jamaica Hills, Laurelton, Middle Village, Murray Hill, Queensborough Hill, Queens Village, South Jamaica, Springfield Gardens, St. Albans and Whitestone.

“The idea is to prevent a larger scale problem,” the spokesperson said. “It takes pressure off the system while the issue is repaired.”

Jackson Heights has been hit the hardest by outages, with more than 400 people without power. Con Ed’s outage map stated the reason for the outage is a manhole problem.

The map says that the problem should be repaired by noon.

 

 

Queens communities facing brownouts


| brennison@queenscourier.com

Several Queens communities face a voltage reduction from Con Edison due to electrical equipment problems.

The 100 degree heat has many residents blasting air conditioners to stay cool.

Con Ed said the neighborhoods affected will have a 5 percent voltage reduction.  This was done in an effort to prevent a significant outage, a spokesperson from the company said.

There are about 20 individual  outages in Queens right now according to Con Edison’s outage map.

The reduction will occur in Bellerose, Cambria Heights, Floral Park, Forest Hills, Glendale, Glen Oaks, Hollis, Jamaica, Jamaica Hills, Laurelton, Middle Village, Queens Village, South Jamaica, Springfield Gardens and St. Albans.

Con Edison asked customers in these areas to conserve electricity and turn off nonessential electric equipment, such as TVs, computers, air conditioners, washers, dryers, and microwaves.

To report power outages or service problems visit www.conEd.com or call 800-75-CONED (6633). When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power.

 

Man busted in city-wide manhole cover thefts


| jlane@queenscourier.com

The man behind the theft of manhole covers has been uncovered. Andrew Modica, 46, was arrested yesterday in connection with the numerous stolen manhole covers across the city, law enforcement sources told The Post this morning. Cops pulled Modica over in a stolen pickup truck near his home on 67th Street and 21st Avenue in Brooklyn after they tracked him down through a license plate and parking summons, sources said.

Modica has been charged with criminal possession of stolen property and criminal impersonation.

Modica admitted to some of the manhole thefts from the streets across Brooklyn, Queens and The Bronx, but claimed there were others he did not commit, sources said.

[New York Post]

Queens fire kills grandmother as helpless kin look on


| jlane@queenscourier.com

Graphic by Jay Lane

Queens fire kills grandmother as helpless kin look on

A fast-moving house fire killed a Queens grandmother early today as her family managed to escape the blaze in South Jamaica. “The family was screaming for their grandmother,” said neighbor Lola Reid. “She never came out of the house.” Elaine Spencer, 69, died at the scene, officials said. “She was a sweet woman. Everyone on this block loved her,” said Jessica Banks, 25, a relative of the victim. Rickey Anderson was walking home on 120th Avenue near Sutphin Boulevard at around midnight when he saw flames shooting from the two-family home. Read More: New York Post

 

Catwoman is caged

The catwoman has been declawed. A Queens woman who robbed an Astor Place boutique while wearing a cat mask was ordered caged for 10 years — and she went out hissing all the way. “I am not the catwoman!” Shana Spalding shouted after being sentenced yesterday in Manhattan Supreme Court. “No! No! No!” The 29-year-old Queens crook cried out for her mom and raged at court officers and photographers as she was led out in handcuffs. The death-metal singer known as “Purgatory” was convicted in December of armed stick-ups at Arche Shoes on Astor Place and Cotélac, a SoHo sportswear shop . Read More: New York Post

Brooklyn Man Charged With Murdering Brother In Queens Home

A Brooklyn man is accused of attacking two members of his own family, killing one of them. Sources say Gideon Forde, 33, is charged with murdering his 29-year-old brother, Clinton, inside a home on 148th Street in Queens. Police responded to the scene at around 7:30 a.m. Wednesday. Sources say the victim’s wife was yelling from an upstairs window while downstairs, Forde was holding his younger brother at knifepoint. Forde also allegedly slashed his 1-year-old niece in the neck. Clinton Forde died at the hospital. The young girl was rushed to the hospital in stable condition. Read More: NY1

 

Con Ed crew foils robbery

A routine gas inspection turned into a harrowing chase as four Con Edison employees rushed to the aid of the victim of a violent purse snatching in Bayside on the night of January 25. The Con Edison crew — John Kane, John McDonnell, Michael Santeramo and Anthony Farmighetti — were working on a gas line just off Northern Boulevard when they heard the screams of a young woman on 201st Street and 42nd Avenue. When they rushed to the scene, they saw the victim on the ground, bleeding from the mouth. Read More: Queens Courier

 

Queens Mormon holy war

They’re throwing the book at Mormons. Queens civic leaders are mounting a campaign to block the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints from building a new house of worship in Flushing to serve a growing Mormon congregation. The planned two-story structure, proposed for 145-15 33rd Ave., would include an underground parking garage and a steeple. It would replace a cramped church about a dozen blocks away. The church acquired the three lots in 2008, with eyes on building a new facility. But since then, the city has approved stricter zoning that bars larger structures in the residential area. Read More: New York Post

 

Giants hoping for repeat performance vs. Patriots

Eli Manning wakes up Sunday morning and it’s the Super Bowl, against Tom Brady and the Patriots. Tom Coughlin wakes up Sunday morning and it’s the Super Bowl, against Bill Belichick and the Patriots. Brady wakes up Sunday morning and starts worrying about Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora. Today is Groundhog Day. For the Giants, Sunday is Super Groundhog Day. “I wasn’t a part of that ’07 team,” Steve Weatherford said, “but just watching those guys and seeing them just crush people through the playoffs and get in, and nobody gave ’em a chance to win once you get into the Super Bowl, which is the only game that really matters, and they pulled it out when it mattered most so I mean. . . Read More: New York Post

 

Con Ed crew foils robbery


| smosco@queenscourier.com

THE COURIER/Photo by Steve Mosco

A routine gas inspection turned into a harrowing chase as four Con Edison employees rushed to the aid of the victim of a violent purse snatching in Bayside on the night of January 25.

The Con Edison crew — John Kane, John McDonnell, Michael Santeramo and Anthony Farmighetti — were working on a gas line just off Northern Boulevard when they heard the screams of a young woman on 201st Street and 42nd Avenue. When they rushed to the scene, they saw the victim on the ground, bleeding from the mouth.

The crew approached the suspect and that is when the incident escalated. The man pointed a gun at the workers and told them to step back; the suspect then ran off with the crew in hot pursuit. With total disregard for their own personal safety, the four-man team chased the suspect through a neighborhood backyard.

“We heard screaming and saw bags scattered all over the ground,” said Santeramo, 27, a Con Edison worker for five years. “We ran up to her [the victim] and she was bleeding from the mouth.”

McDonnell, 29, said that he and his fellow workers just did what anyone would do in a situation like that — explaining that when someone is in danger, the right thing to do is help the person without thinking twice.

“We ran right there, you know,” said McDonnell, describing scene. “You hear something like that happen and you just run right there. You just go right into mode, you want to help somebody.”

Despite their heroic efforts, the determined crew lost the perpetrator. The workers returned to the victim, a 24-year-old woman, and stayed with her until police responded to the scene.

“She was very grateful that we helped her out and she was very thankful that we stopped the altercation,” Kane said of the woman, whose identity was not released.

After the incident, the crew went back to work and finished their shift. The next day, Santeramo and McDonnell went to work as if nothing happened at all.

“We came in the next day and didn’t think twice about it,” said McDonnell, who has been with Con Edison for seven years. “We were called upstairs and we thought we were in trouble.”

But Con Ed officials, proud of the men’s heroism, simply wanted to thank them and let people know their brave story.

No arrests have been made in the incident, and police describe the suspect as a black male.

Greg Kelly claims ‘flirtatious’ text messages from rape accuser show their rendezvous was consensual and for a ‘sexual purpose,’ sources say


| jlane@queenscourier.com

Graphic by Jay Lane

Greg Kelly claims ‘flirtatious’ text messages from rape accuser show their rendezvous was consensual and for a ‘sexual purpose,’ sources say

The paralegal who says TV host and top-cop son Greg Kelly raped her while she was drunk told cops she got pregnant and had an abortion as a result, NYPD sources said. “Why’d you do that?” she says she angrily demanded in a call to the Fox newsman after the late-night encounter in her downtown Manhattan law office, according to a police source. But Kelly, the popular co-host of “Good Day New York” and the son of Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, claims “flirtatious” text messages from the woman show their rendezvous was consensual and for a “sexual purpose,” sources said. “That could be the big key,” one investigator told the Daily News on Thursday. “Unless she taped the phone call, whether this guy gets charged could be determined by the texts.” Read More: Daily News

 

Two Con Ed Workers Rescue Woman From Robbery

Two Consolidated Edison workers are being called heroes after they rescued a woman being robbed in Queens. The two workers were fixing a gas leak near 201st Street and 42nd Avenue in Auburndale when they heard signs of a struggle nearby. They say they discovered a man with a gun assaulting a woman while trying to steal her purse. “As soon as I turned around we saw them, it was a commotion, a lot of yelling, arguing. As soon as we heard that we ran right there, you know. You hear something like that happen and you just run right there. You just go right into mode, you want to help somebody,” said Con Ed worker John McDonnell, seen above left. Read More: NY1

 

Upper East Side woman stalked for 18 years, through six states

Their first and only date was an innocent stroll through Central Park. But when an Upper East Side woman rejected her running-club pal’s bid for an encore, the creep lost his mind and embarked on an 18-year reign of terror — stalking her through six states as she desperately tried to escape his reach. “I was terrified of him,” Linda Arnaud, 45, told The Post of twisted Queens native Moses Shepard, who last week was finally found guilty of federal stalking charges. “He showed up at my place of work. He showed up at my school, at my apartment — he showed up on the subway platform. He stalked me all over New York City.” Read More: New York Post

 

Stabber gets jail

A Queens judge ripped into a teenager convicted of stabbing a neighborhood friend as the attacker was sentenced yesterday to as much time as possible for the senseless crime. Wayne Henderson, 17, was found guilty last month of the attempted murder, assault and disfigurement of Luis Martinez, who was 12 when he was attacked on Jan. 9, 2010. “This is the most vicious crime I’m seen in my 25 years on the bench,” said Judge James Griffin as he sentenced Henderson to the maximum under juvenile-offender guidelines — five to 10 years in prison. Had he been tried as an adult, he could have gotten up to 20 years. Read More: New York Post