The Jamaica blaze that took the life of a famous furniture designer was caused by cooking, according to the FDNY.
Charles Pollock, 83, who created one of the best-selling office chairs in history, the Pollock Executive Chair, died Tuesday morning when his 157th Street home caught fire.
According to the fire department, “several New York City fire-related deaths so far in August were caused by senior citizen cooking accidents.”
The FDNY offers the following tips on preventing kitchen accidents and cooking fires:
Kitchen accidents can be caused by:
- Distracted cooks, including leaving the kitchen to answer the door, take a phone call or view something on television.
- Wearing loose clothing that can catch fire when leaning over a stovetop.
- Flammable items placed near the stove, such as towels, papers or pot holders.
- Pan/pot handles turned outward, which are accidently bumped and overturn.
- Cooking at temperatures higher than what is required.
- Uncleaned cooking equipment that accumulates grease or food items.
How to prevent cooking fires:
- Use a pot’s lid or baking soda to smother a pan/pot fire. (Do not attempt to pick up the pan/pot if there is fire.)
- Do not use water to fight a kitchen fire, as it can splash and spread the flames.
- Make sure your home has working smoke alarms.