Tag Archives: cannibal cop trial

‘Cannibal cop’ guilty on both counts


| aaltamirano@queenscourier.com

Photo courtesy of Facebook

After four days of deliberations, the jury has finally reached a verdict in the trial of “cannibal cop” Gilberto Valle.

Valle has reportedly been convicted on both counts of conspiracy to commit kidnapping and for accessing a federal government computer database without authorization.

The six-year NYPD veteran who planned to kidnap, kill and eat 100 women, made the decision to not take the stand during his trial and reportedly only spoke to the judge the last day of the trail to discuss his decision “not to testify.”

The trial began February 25 and closing arguments were given on Tuesday, March 5.  During the trial testimonies were given by possible “targets” in Valle’s “deranged” plot, which included his estranged wife who broke down as she took the stand to describe the details in her husband’s plan.

FBI agents also provided evidence of Valle’s “sick web chats with fellow fetishists” and Internet searches, including “recipes for human flesh” and “how to chloroform a girl.”

Valle could face life in prison.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

 

 

Jury deliberations to start in ‘cannibal cop’ trial


| aaltamirano@queenscourier.com

Photo courtesy of Facebook

After a week of gruesome testimony and eerie evidence, the jury in the trial of “cannibal cop” Gilberto Valle will soon begin its deliberations, according to reports.

The six-year NYPD veteran who is accused of planning to kidnap, kill and eat 100 women decided not to take the stand during his trial, which began February 25.

Valle’s estranged wife broke down during her testimony while describing her husband’s “deranged” plot to include her in his meal plan, according to reports. Other possible “targets” also described their interaction with the cop.

FBI agents also took the stand, since Valle is also charged with improperly using a federal law enforcement database to look up information on his possible targets. They said Valle’s Internet searches included “recipes for human flesh” and “how to chloroform a girl,” reports said.

Defense attorney Robert Baum told reporters the evidence shows “all fantasy role play.”

The jury was set to return Thursday, March 7, to hear closing arguments before beginning deliberations.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Wife, potential victims take stand in ‘cannibal cop’ trial


| aaltamirano@queenscourier.com

Photo via Facebook

The trial of “cannibal cop” Gilberto Valle began at Thurgood Marshall Court House in Lower Manhattan with testimony from his estranged wife, potential victims and an FBI agent, according to published reports.

On day one of the trial of the six-year NYPD veteran who allegedly planned to kidnap, kill and eat 100 women, defense attorney Julia Gatto reportedly told the jury “the only thing Gil Valle is guilty of is having some bizarre thoughts and sharing them online with others.”

Later that day, the six-year NYPD veteran’s wife, Kathleen Mangan, took the stand and broke down crying as prosecutors brought up photographs of her husband with their daughter and went through his plot to cook and eat more than 100 women, including her. According to published reports, Mangan recounted her discovery of the online chats her husband had been having at odd hours.

“I was supposed to be tied at my feet, my throat slit, and they were going to watch the blood rush from my body,” Mangan told a Manhattan jury Monday morning, February 25.

Three possible “targets” of Valle’s plot testified Tuesday on their interaction with the cop, including a past high school acquaintance. According to the Daily News, an FBI agent also took the stand, presenting the jury with excerpts of Valle’s deranged web chats in which he describes his plans on kidnapping and cooking the women present in court with his accomplice in the alleged plot.

Among the targets who took the stand was the 18-year-old softball star from Archbishop Molloy High School who, according to reports, Valle referred to as “the most desirable piece of meat I have ever met.”

Along with being charged with planning to kidnap, torture, rape and eat women, Valle is also being charged for improperly using a federal law enforcement database, published reports said.

The trial is expected to last two weeks with more evidence to be brought forth and other “targeted” women taking the stand.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Queens’ Morning Roundup


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

TODAY’S FORECAST

Tuesday: Overcast. High of 43. Winds from the East at 5 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50%. Tuesday night: Overcast with rain. Low of 39. Windy. Winds from the East at 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph. Chance of rain 100% with rainfall amounts near 0.8 in. possible.

EVENT OF THE DAY: African-American and Jewish Poetry: From Images of Despair to Images of Hope

Starting at 5:30 p.m. learn about African-American and Jewish poetry at the Langston Hughes Library. Actress and author Sherry Reiter and spoken-word artist and performer Barbara Bethea will recite and discuss poetry from the two different cultures.  Click here for more info or to submit an event of your own

Queens Hindu senior center founder charged in fraud scheme

The founder of the United Hindu Cultural Council Senior Center was arrested Monday and charged with stealing more than $50,000, allegedly by filing false invoices for lunches that were never served. Read more: CBS New York

Wife testifies in NYPD officer’s cannibalism plot

A New York City police officer’s bizarre Internet discussion of cannibalism – what he claims was harmless fantasy – was instead a serious plot to abduct, torture and eat “very real women,” a federal prosecutor said Monday at the officer’s kidnapping conspiracy trial. Read more: ABC New York

Bloomberg: Ban on large sodas should go statewide

The city’s big-soda ban should spill over the entire state, Mayor Bloomberg said Monday. Read more: New York Daily News

NY marks 20th anniversary of World Trade bombing

Tuesday marks the 20th anniversary of the first terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. Read more: AP

Trayvon Martin family in NYC on anniversary

Trayvon Martin’s family is marking the 1-year anniversary of his shooting death with a candlelight vigil in New York City. Read more: Fox New York

Group releases list of tri-state’s most dangerous roads for walking

A transportation group has released its list of the Tri-State area’s most dangerous roads for walking. Read more: CBS New York