Tag Archives: Bill Bratton

De Blasio names Bill Bratton next NYPD commissioner


| mhayes@queenscourier.com

Photo via Flickr/Policy Exchange

In a much anticipated move, mayor-elect Bill de Blasio named Bill Bratton as the city’s top cop  on Thursday, promising to “heal the wounds” caused by stop-and-frisk.

“He has combined the best of tradition and the best of innovation in an extraordinary career of achievement,” de Blasio said.

This is Bratton’s second run as commissioner, following his first stint from 1994 to 1996 under Mayor Rudy Giuliani. He will replace Raymond Kelly, who has had the top cop spot since 2002.

De Blasio’s campaign platform sat staunchly against the controversial police tactic and made it clear he would not keep Kelly.

“We’ve seen an approach that has too often alienated communities,” de Blasio said. “This has caused a lack of partnership between police and community.”

Now, he said we need to “heal some of the wounds and reopen communication between police and community.”

Bratton, 66, said one of his goals is to bring these groups together “in a collaboration where there is mutual respect and there is mutual trust.”

“We need to ensure that police are not the flashpoint for disruption, disturbances and anger,” he said. “It [policing] must be done compassionately. It must be done consistently.”

Bratton was long-rumored to be de Blasio’s pick along with NYPD Chief of Department Philip Banks and First Deputy Commissioner Rafael Pineiro.

The police veteran with nearly five decades experience is coming from a run as the Los Angeles Police Department’s chief from 2002 to 2009. He also served as the Boston Police Commissioner before first coming to New York.

During his time with the NYPD, Bratton created tactics that are credited with cutting the steep crime rate in half, including COMPSTAT and real-time crime analysis.

“Bill Bratton is the leading national voice of community policing, of a progressive and proactive approach to policing, focusing on the collaboration between police and community,” de Blasio said.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Political Roundup: Another poll shows strong voter support for de Blasio


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

ROUNDUP

HEADLINES FROM AROUND THE WEB

Poll finds support for de Blasio, if not all his ideas

New York City voters want to keep Raymond W. Kelly as police commissioner. They want more charter schools. And nearly half of them support the Police Department’s use of the stop-and-frisk tactic. Read more: New York Times

Obama: No shutdown talks “with a gun held to the head”

President Barack Obama told reporters Friday that he won’t negotiate with Republicans to end the budget standoff “with a gun held to the head of the American people.” Read more: NBC News 

Bill de Blasio considering Bill Bratton for old job as police commissioner

Former Police Commissioner Bill Bratton could be back at 1 Police Plaza if Bill de Blasio is elected mayor. Read more: New York Daily News

Bloomberg defends DC police, and remembers Democratic shutdowns

Mayor Michael Bloomberg this morning defended the police officers involved in yesterday’s shooting at the Capitol, saying they faced the same kind of instant judgments as officers in New York City. Read more: Capital New York 

New York state credit card surcharge law blocked

A federal judge has ruled that a New York State law that bans merchants from imposing surcharges on customers who pay by credit card is unconstitutional. Read more: AP

Queens’ Morning Roundup


| ctumola@queenscourier.com

TODAY’S FORECAST

Tuesday: Overcast with thunderstorms and rain showers in the afternoon. High of 86. Winds from the SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.Tuesday Night: Overcast with thunderstorms and rain showers. Low of 73. Winds from the South at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60% with rainfall amounts near 0.5 in. possible.

EVENT of the DAY: Live at the Gantries with Christel Rice

Traditional Irish flute player and Philadelphia native Christel Rice has created a sensational and unique style with her music. She studied with the late Michael Rafferty of Ballinakill, Ireland where she learned the regional style of flute playing. Come see her preform for free tonight at Gantry Plaza State Park. Click here for more info or to submit an event of your own

Glendale property owner in talks to lease vacant Cooper Ave. land to local nonprofit for a homeless shelter

A Glendale property owner is mulling a plan to turn a former factory into a shelter for the homeless, though community leaders have vowed to fight it. Read more: New York Daily News 

Vallone urges emergency lanes on Queens Boulevard

Forget bike lanes and pedestrian plazas: It’s time to accommodate emergency responders navigating Queens’ deadliest road, a lawmaker says. Read more: New York Post

Congressional Candidate Meng comments on her father’s bribe charges

As Democratic congressional candidate Grace Meng picked up the endorsement of former Mayor Ed Koch at City Hall on Monday, she spoke publicly for the first time about her father’s arrest on wire fraud charges. Read more: NY1

Judge who accused cop of assault says Queens DA is whitewashing probe

The Queens judge who accused a cop of striking him in the throat with a military-style chop says the District Attorney’s probe appears to be a sham. Read more: New York Daily News 

DOE finds almost 70 percent of city students live in poor households

At Hillcrest High School in Jamaica, Queens, 65 percent of the students live in households that earn under $30,000. That is double the figure of just three years ago. While Hillcrest saw one of the biggest jumps, student poverty has increased citywide. Read more: NY1

Bratton makes rounds

Former New York Police Commissioner Bill Bratton is signaling his interest in succeeding Commissioner Raymond Kelly, holding private meetings with potential mayoral candidates during which he’s discussing public-safety strategies and his desire to return to service. Read more: Wall Street Journal 

Veteran officer, gunman die in Texas shootout

A routine serving of an eviction notice to a man living near the Texas A&M University campus turned deadly for Brazos County Constable Brian Bachmann when the resident opened fire on him, leading to the death of the law enforcement officer and another man before the gunman was killed. Read more: AP