Halloween is almost here, and children await the fun of trick-or-treating. But there are many dangers of Halloween that can be a threat to your pet’s health. Central Veterinary Associates urges pet owners to keep their pets safe this Halloween by following these tips:
● Keep all candy, especially chocolate, away from your pet. Chocolate contains Theobromine, which is toxic to your pet. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea or a rapid heartbeat, possibly death.
● The continuous ringing of the doorbell can upset a pet and the constant opening of the door is an opportunity for a pet to run into the street. Keep your pet in a relaxed and quiet area of your home away from the door.
● Keep lollipops and any candy with sticks out of your pet’s reach. These sticks, if swallowed, can potentially block or cut through an area from the stomach to the intestines.
● Dispose of empty candy wrappers. These materials cannot be digested and may cause a blockage or inflammation of the stomach or intestines.
“Halloween is supposed to be fun, but that fun can turn tragic if a pet accidentally ingests a piece of candy or runs past an open door when greeted by trick-or-treaters,” said Dr. Steven Fox, President and Chief Executive Officer, Central Veterinary Associates. “If in the event your pet becomes sickened, take them to the veterinarian immediately.”
Central Veterinary Associates’ Valley Stream office will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including Halloween. For more information, or to make an appointment, call Central Veterinary Associates at (516) 825-3066 or visit www.centralvets.com.