E-file, with bank direct deposit, is the fastest and safest way to receive your tax refund. If you already filed your Federal tax return and are due a refund, you have several options to check on your refund. Here are procedures the IRS wants you to know about checking on the status of your refund.
Online Access to Refund Information. Where’s My Refund? is an interactive tool on www.irs.gov and is the fastest, easiest way to get information about your Federal income-tax refund. Whether you opted for direct deposit or asked the IRS to mail you a check, Where’s My Refund? gives you online access to your refund information, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
When to Check Refund Status. If you e-fi le, you can get refund information 72 hours after the IRS acknowledges receipt of your return. If you fi le a paper return, refund information will generally be available three or four weeks after mailing your return.
What You Need to Check Refund Status. When checking the status of your refund, have a copy of your federal tax return handy. To get your personalized refund information you must enter:
• Your Social Security Number or ITIN • Your filing status which will be Single, Married Filing Jointly, Married Filing Separate Return, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widow(er).
• Exact whole-dollar refund amount shown on your tax return.
What the Online Tool Will Tell You. You could get several responses, including:
• Acknowledgement that your return was received and is in processing.
• The mailing date or direct deposit date of your refund.
• Notice that the IRS could not deliver your refund due to an incorrect address.
Toll-free Number. If you do not have Internet access, you can check the status of your refund by calling the IRS Refund Hotline at 800-829-1954. When calling, you must provide your or your spouse’s Social Security number, fi ling status and the exact whole- dollar amount shown on your return
Barry Lisak, EA, is an IRS Enrolled Agent who has operated a tax preparation office for over 30 years. Any questions or comments, please contact email@example.com or 516-829-7283.