Mayor de Blasio files to drop city’s stop-and-frisk appeal


| lguerre@queenscourier.com |

Photo via Twitter/@NYCMayorsOffice
Photo via Twitter/@NYCMayorsOffice

Mayor Bill de Blasio’s administration filed papers on Thursday to drop the city’s appeal of a judge’s decision to reform the NYPD’s stop-and-frisk policy.

Under the court papers, which were filed in the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan, the city came to an agreement with the plaintiffs in the ongoing case against stop-and-frisk, Floyd vs. City of New York. 

“This is a defining moment in our history. It’s a defining moment for millions of our families, especially those with young men of color,” de Blasio said. “This will be one city, where everyone’s rights are respected, and where police and community stand together to confront violence.”

U.S. District Judge Shira Scheindlin ruled last year that the Police Department had discriminated against minorities with stop-and-frisk, and ordered that monitor oversee the NYPD and other reforms.

In the agreement announced today, a court-appointed monitor will oversee the NYPD’s reform of stop-and-frisk for three years.

The city filed to appeal the decision last year under former Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Despite the city dropping the appeal, the case may not be over. When de Blasio was elected mayor last year, the Patrolman’s Benevolent Association (PBA) promised that they will seek to intervene and carry on the appeal if the city drops the case.

“We continue to have serious concerns about how these remedies will impact our members and the ability to do their jobs,” PBA President Patrick J. Lynch said. “Our goal is to continue to be involved in the process in order to give voice to our members and to make every effort to ensure that their rights are protected.”

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES