Queens’ Morning Roundup


| ctumola@queenscourier.com |



TODAY’S FORECAST

Friday: Overcast with a chance of snow in the afternoon. High of 25F with a windchill as low as 0. Winds from the WNW at 5 to 15 mph shifting to the SW in the afternoon. Chance of snow 40%. Friday night: Overcast with snow. Low of 19F with a windchill as low as 10. Winds from the WSW at 5 to 10 mph shifting to the NW after midnight. Chance of snow 60%.

EVENT OF THE DAY: afroTANGO

Discover Tango’s African roots in this world premiere musical at the Thalia Spanish Theatre in Sunnyside. Music arranged and directed by Latin Grammy winner Raul Jaurena. Click here for more info or to submit an event of your own

Firefighters battle flames, cold in Glendale fire

One person was critically injured in a house fire in the Glendale section of Queens early Friday. Read more: ABC New York

Veteran city supervisor arrested on charges of child porn possession tells FBI he uses binoculars to spy on elementary school kids in Queens

A veteran city supervisor busted for possession of kiddie porn told FBI agents he uses binoculars to spy on kids leaving an elementary school across the street from his Queens apartment. Read more: New York Daily News

Senate sets Monday vote on $50.5B Sandy aid bill

The Senate is set to vote Monday on a $50.5 billion emergency relief bill to help victims of Superstorm Sandy. Read more: CBS New York

Cold weather breaking tracks along LIRR rails

The extreme cold is creating an unusual and potentially dangerous problem for the Long Island Rail Road Friday. Read more: ABC New York

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to host campaign fund-raiser for NJ Gov. Chris Christie
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is opening the double-wide doors at his $7 million Palo Alto, Calif., home for New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. Read more: New York Post 

State Department pick Kerry draws praise, outlines policy at hearing
John Kerry urged Congress to fix the U.S. economy to ensure America’s role as a world leader and pledged to keep pressure on Iran at a Senate hearing on Thursday that left little doubt he will win easy confirmation as secretary of state. Read more: Reuters