Martin Van Buren to get $4M in School Improvement Grants


| mchan@queenscourier.com |

THE COURIER/Photo by Melissa Chan
THE COURIER/Photo by Melissa Chan

Martin Van Buren High School will receive $4 million in federal funding.

A struggling Queens Village school will get more than $4 million in federal funds to bounce back this fall.

Martin Van Buren High School and 21 others in the city were awarded $74.2 million in School Improvement Grants (SIG) to be used over three years, State Education Commissioner John King Jr. announced Friday.

The state’s education department doled out a total of $126 million to 34 low-performing schools throughout New York this year. It was the second round of funding in 2013, though no Queens school was awarded earlier, officials said.

The dollars will go toward implementing “intervention models” in the failing schools, education officials said.

“Many English language learners, students with disabilities and low-income students are in schools that need to change,” King said. “SIG grants can help give those students the opportunity to attend schools that are changing what’s happening in the classroom.”

Van Buren received a C in the city Department of Education’s (DOE) most recent progress report, which is based on student progress toward graduation, performance on standardized tests, coursework and student attendance.

Elected officials said morale and grades have been improving under the school’s new principal, Sam Sochet, since he took over last June.

The school was also acknowledged as “developing” during last year’s DOE evaluation, a step above the failing grade “underdeveloped.”

“Our strategy has always been to take action rather than sit idly by,” said city Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott, “and today’s awards validate our work. [The grants] will support students at schools that are phasing out, provide resources to bolster interventions in schools that are struggling, and help new schools deliver great outcomes.”

Under the designated “transformation model,” Van Buren would have been forced to replace its principal, the state education department said. But since Sochet is new to the helm, that requirement is already satisfied, a city spokesperson said.

However, Van Buren educators, under another condition, will have to follow the state’s approved Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR) plans.

“Martin Van Buren High School has made huge strides over the year,” said Councilmember Mark Weprin. “This money will go a long way to help put the school in better shape than we are already.”

The DOE recently proposed adding another school inside Van Buren next year, in a move known as co-location, despite protests from Queens lawmakers. They say the move would eliminate 500 existing seats.

“Hopefully, the DOE will realize we can do wonderful things at Martin Van Buren and not worry about co-locating schools in the building,” Weprin said. “It’s already on the way back.”

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Bernard M. Aquilino

    As one who haas live in the area for more than sixty years and whose children attended MVB High school and the other neighborhood schools in the area I stongly oppose the the plan to sabotage the efforts of the new principal and change the shoo into a charter school! Similar efforts resulted in failure, (Jamaca H.S., Francis Lewis HS, Ect. My chidren went to college and are now professionals as well as thier peers. Why not give the new principal, Mr. Sochet a chance! What’s the hurry??? It would be a shame to abandon this effort in the middle of it’s obvious succcess.
    I urge everyone to support Mr.Sochet and the studets of MVB High School.
    B.M.A.
    as

  • Helen

    As pass PA president who has fought for the removal of the principal in 2012 I too feel that this is a plan to sabotage the efforts that has taken place by the new principal. I ask that the new PA president take a stand on this matter and get parents to rally against this, just as I have rallied over the pass year. stand your ground Mr. Persaud.