Racino robber faces 25 years

1 comment
Two teens were robbed at gunpoint as they left Resorts World Casino Sunday morning.THE COURIER/Photo by Steve Mosco
Two teens were robbed at gunpoint as they left Resorts World Casino Sunday morning.

Prosecutors did their own snatch and grab.

The suspect nabbed for robbing Resorts World Casino New York City in late June waived his extradition rights on Wednesday, August 1, and will be moved to Queens from Monroe County, Pennsylvania, officials said.

Kevin Lides, 23, of Briarwood, had been named as the culprit by the district attorney’s office after the note he passed to a teller — demanding cash and threatening the teller’s life — was found to have his fingerprints. There was also surveillance video placing the suspect in the casino at the time of the robbery.

For security reasons, it has not been announced when Lides will be moved back to Queens, officials said.

Should Lides be convicted for taking around $63,000 in cash from the casino, he could face up to 25 years in prison, according to the DA’s office.

The arrest was applauded by local politicians and Resorts World officials, highlighting the Racino’s surveillance system and its cooperation with the 106th Precinct as pivotal to Lides’ capture.

“This arrest proves that our surveillance system is working,” said Resorts World spokesperson Stefan Friedman. “Through close collaboration with the NYPD and the information revealed on our state-of-the-art on-site surveillance technology, we were able to assist the police in apprehending the suspect.”

“I believe that the safety and security of the visitors to Resorts World should always be a high priority,” said State Senator Joseph Addabbo, who pushed for better security in the wake of the robbery. “I appreciate all the efforts of law enforcement involved in this arrest; I am most grateful and proud of the work done by our 106th Precinct and its detectives.”