Queens’ Morning Roundup


| lguerre@queenscourier.com |


Photo and video courtesy of NYPD

This suspect and a second man are wanted in a series of Queens street robberies.

Con Ed Locks Out Workers Following Failed Contract Talks 

Consolidated Edison and its employees union had a war of words Sunday over who was responsible for the lockout that left 8,500 workers off the job. Talks between Con Ed and Local 1-2, Utility Workers Union of America broke down early Sunday.Both sides kept talking past the midnight deadline but the utility dismissed the workers at 2 a.m. Sunday and brought in 5,000 managers to run its electric, gas and steam operations. Read more: [NY1] 

Police Are Hunting For A Pair Of Suspects In A String Of Sexual Assaults In Queens 

The NYPD is asking the public for assistance in tracking down a sexual abuse, rape, and robbery suspect in Queens. The alleged perpetrator has struck four times. His first attack came against a 19-year-old woman in Forest Hills when he sexually assaulted a woman at knife point and stole her cell phone and cash. Read more: [1010wins]

Willets Point Business owners’ City and NY Mets owners intend to maul us with mega-mall 

The city’s newly announced plans for Willets Point are an outrage — and should be seen as such by every City Council member who voted in favor of the plan that was originally proposed, and by all New York City taxpayers who are being stuck with the bill for what will forever be known as Bloomberg’s folly. Read more: [New York Daily News] 

Queens billboard no good for advertising: lawsuit 

A 75-year-old Queens billboard could go blank if the city has its way. Atlantic Outdoor Advertising began leasing the billboard at 23-10 Queens Plaza South in 1999, but when it sought permission to change wording on the rooftop display last year, the move was rejected because the city claimed the billboard was not an “advertising” sign. Read more: [New York Post] 

Rockaway residents rally to replace fence around nude beach 

Rockaway residents fed up with getting an eyeful from a nude beach are demanding the city rebuild a fence to shield their gaze from naked sunbathers. Dozens of scandalized locals rallied at the beach Sunday — pushing to rebuild the fence that separated the federally controlled adult beach in Riis Park from the tamer sands of Neponsit. Read more: [New York Daily News] 

NYC’s first casino, Resorts World Casino, robbed for the first time

The city’s first casino was robbed for the first time on Friday afternoon, police and sources said. An unarmed robber slipped a note to a second-floor cashier at Resorts World Casino in Queens and demanded cash late Friday afternoon, police said. The cashier forked over currency and the suspect fled about 4:45 p.m. Police would not confirm the amount. Read more: [New York Daily News]