Queens casino robbed

1 comment
Two teens were robbed at gunpoint as they left Resorts World Casino Sunday morning.THE COURIER/Photo by Steve Mosco
Two teens were robbed at gunpoint as they left Resorts World Casino Sunday morning.

New York’s first casino had its first robbery less than a year after its opening.

The robber entered Resorts World Casino New York City at about 4:30 p.m. on Friday, June 29 and approached a teller at the gate, police said. He passed the teller a note and simulated a weapon in his waistband.

The teller handed over an unknown amount of cash to the unidentified perp before he fled through the front door, said cops.

The suspect is described as 30 years old, 5’8” tall, last seen wearing a blue shirt, blue jeans and black sneakers.

A Resorts World spokesperson did not respond to requests for comment as of press time, but State Senator Joseph Addabbo released a statement on Monday, July 2 saying some security procedures should be changed at the facility.

“While I am thankful that nobody was injured during last week’s robbery, and that such incidents normally don’t occur at Resorts World,” he said, “I do have serious concerns regarding the procedures that are in place which would allow an individual to take a bag of money from the cashier window, down to street level, out of the casino, across the parking lot, and escape to the street.

“I am interested in the possible changes in the method of notifying the police in a timely manner and the practice of monitoring a situation in progress. I will continue to advocate for the hiring of additional security personnel on the premises of the casino in an effort to create jobs and supplement the safety of the patrons there.”