Bayside through the years

Leave a comment
Bayside through the years
Bayside through the years
Photos by Melissa Chan; historic photos courtesy of the Bayside Historical Society

This view of Bell Boulevard was taken in 1916 and features the tracks that Bayside’s trolley ran along.

 


In the winter of 1950, this sledder overlooked the hills at Oakland Golf Course, which is now the location of the Queensborough Community College campus.

 

The old Bell Tavern, with “Chinese and American” lunch and dinner is long gone and has been replaced by Bayside’s little slice of New Orleans, Bourbon Street.

 

The corner of Bell and Northern boulevards marks the spot where one of the first enamel-steel prefabricated White Castle outlets was well-established by 1933. Today, the neighborhood has grown up and the castle is larger, but the burgers are about the same.